Rumours

July - 2005

HEADLINES
3107: Liverpool to bid for French midfielder...
3107: Figo linked with Valencia
3107: Liverpool to sign Euro 2004 ace...
2807: Sevilla poised to make move to sign...
2207: Luque speculation hots up
2207: Liverpool linked with Portuguese ace
2107: Reds bid for Alves
1907: Govou in Liverpool link
1907: 'Baros told he can leave'
1907: Trio enter race for Liverpool target
1707: West Ham linked with Baros swoop
1607: Rafa wants Crouch, not Owen
1507: Owen in bid for Anfield return
1307: Report: Liverpool up Milito bid
1207: Gallas fee agreed?
1107: Reds step up Upson chase
1007: Pompey move for Vignal
1007: Reds enquire about Gallas
0907: Liverpool linked with Dario Srna

 
 
RUMOURS ARCHIVE         
2005
April  May  June
January February  March
2004
October November  December
July August September
April  May June 
January February Marc

JULY 31
Liverpool to bid for French midfielder - reports

Kop Talk

Newspaper reports today claim that Liverpool have re-ignited their interest in Fulham midfielder Steed Malbranque.

It is reported that Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry will fax a formal offer of 4million for the player to Fulham this week after receiving notification about his possible availability.

Former boss Gerard Houllier tried to sign the player but a proposed move collapsed just before he was axed.


JULY 31
Figo linked with Valencia

By Rich Middleton - LFC Online

Potential Red target, Luis Figo, has been once again linked with Valencia, with a wage packet reported to be in the region of
1.8m EURO.


It is thought that the offer has been shown to Figo's agent, Louis Vicente Douens, although it seems Internazionale are still favourites to sign the Portuguese maestro.

It is thought that Liverpool are no longer in the running for the star, but with wage demands of around 4m EURO over two years, whether the Che manage to sign the player still seems doubtful.


JULY 31
Liverpool to sign Euro 2004
ace this week - reports


Kop Talk

Liverpool will complete the signing of Bolton midfielder Stelios Giannakopoulos this week, claim newspaper reports today.

The Greek international has been linked with a possible move to Anfield all summer and at one stage media sources in Greece even reported that he had actually signed for us but those claims proved to be premature.

It is reported that he has a 1million release clause in his contract but whether or not he'll take advantage of it we'll have to wait and see. At that price though you'd have to say if Rafa wants him he'll get him because he'll be able to offer him a much better deal than he's currently on at Bolton.


JULY 28
Sevilla poised to make move to sign Josemi

By Ian Doyle - Daily Post

Sevilla are hoping to take Liverpool defender Josemi back to Spain.

The La Liga outfit are weighing up a bid for the 25-year-old, who was signed by Rafael Benitez last summer for 2million from Malaga.

Liverpool would be tempted by an offer allowing them to recoup their investment in a player who has struggled during his time in England, with reports in Spain suggesting Sevilla have already had contact with Josemi's representatives.

And Benitez could use the interest as an opportunity to tempt Sevilla into a deal for in-demand right-back Daniel Alves.

Sevilla are resigned to losing both Alves and fellow defender Sergio Ramos to bigger clubs this summer, and have pinpointed Josemi as a potential replacement.

The 6m-rated Alves has previously spoken of a desire to leave and said he would be happy with a move to Liverpool.

Current Sevilla coach Juande Ramos was a former manager of Josemi at Malaga and is a known admirer of the player.

Josemi was in the starting line-up for Tuesday's 3-1 Champions League second qualifying round first leg win at FBK Kaunas of Lithuania. He had an impressive beginning to his Anfield career, but after a knee injury he struggled with form and fitness and made little impact after Christmas.


JULY 22
Luque speculation hots up

By Rich Middleton - LFC Online

Albert Luque has been left out of Deportivo La Coruna match in the Intertoto cup tie, sparking rumours he could be on the move, possibly to Anfield.

The Depor squad chosen for the match in Croatia was strong, so the exclusion of Luque sparked speculation that the player could be on the move soon.

However, it is thought Real Madrid are the likeliest club to sign the player, who has a price of around 15m.

But Liverpool, Seville and barca are all thought to be interested in pursuing the Spanish international's signature.


JULY 22
Liverpool linked with Portuguese ace

Kop Talk

Liverpool have been linked with a possible move for Deportivo La Coruna defender Jorge Andrade (27).

Newspaper reports today claim that manager Rafael Benitez is keen to offload striker Milan Baros to the Spanish outfit and bring Andrade in the other direction.

Gabriel Milito is Rafa's preferred option but Liverpool are being priced out of a move at this time which leaves Portugal international Andrade as a possible option.

There are even suggestions that Andrade has already spoken to Benitez about a move and that he has given him the green light with regards his feelings about a possible switch to Anfield, if a deal could be struck.

Andrade can also play comfortably as a midfield anchorman.


JULY 21
Reds bid for Alves

By Adam Bryant - LFC Online

Reports from Spain claim that Liverpool have made a 7million bid for Seville's Daniel Alves.

The 22-year-old Brazilian full back has also attracted the interest of Real Madrid and Juventus.

Apparently the initial bid has been refused, but Seville expect an improved offer shortly.


JULY 19
Govou in Liverpool link

By Patrick Haond - Planet Football/Sky Sports

Reports emanating from the French press continue to link Liverpool with a move for Sidney Govou.

The pacey Lyon striker was reportedly on Rafa Benitez's wish list during his time at Valencia and it has now been suggested that he is keen to take the player to Anfield.

Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas conceded in the summer that he would consider offers for the French international but denies that he has received any bids thus far for the 25-year-old.

It is understood that a bid in the region of 12 million would secure Govou's services but as yet, it would appear Liverpool have yet to make their interest known.

''It is fake to say he does not leave because we ask for too much money,'' Aulas told But!

''We have not received an offer, neither for 7 million, 10 million, nor 12 million.''


JULY 19
'Baros told he can leave'

Soccer 365

Liverpool have reportedly told Milan Baros he is on his way out of the club to fund a move for Peter Crouch.

The Daily Mirror claims that the Czech striker has been left out of the squad to face TNS in the Champions League qualifier to avoid a move being scuppered because he is cup-tied in Europe.

The Reds want 6m for the player who was top scorer in Euro 2004 and West Ham and Aston Villa are said to be interested, though he understandably would prefer a move to Spain.

Jerzy Dudek has also been told that he has no future at the club - with Scott Carson deputising for Jose Reina - despite his heroics to help win the Champions League last season.

The Polish 'keeper is apparently the subject of interest from PSV Eindhoven.


JULY 19
Trio enter race for Liverpool target

Kop Talk

Charlton Athletic, Manchester City and Middlesbrough have all reportedly entered the race to sign Southampton striker
Peter Crouch.

Saints chairman Rupert Lowe will be pleased with the fresh interest in Crouch who cost him just 2million a year ago when he rescued the England international from Aston Villa.

Crouch is desperate to figure in next year's World Cup finals and has his heart set on a move to Anfield. Liverpool have had two bids rejected so far but haven't given up yet.

Meanwhile reports in Spain claim Liverpool could turn their attention to Nicolas Anelka after Newcastle and Tottenham started sniffing around the 4m > 5m rated player. His club Fenerbahce insist though that he's not for sale.


JULY 17
West Ham linked with Baros swoop

Kop Talk

Newspaper reports today claim that West Ham United are lining up a 5.5million bid for Liverpool striker Milan Baros.

Rafael Benitez is keen to offload the Czech international because of attitude problems and the failure to carry out specific tactical instructions.

Liverpool are hoping to receive around 8million for the player but could be tempted to accept a lower bid before the season gets underway.

The player has already refused to move once this summer and you'd expect him to do the same again if the Hammers did make a formal approach.


JULY 16
Rafa wants Crouch, not Owen

ITV Football

Rafael Benitez is reportedly set to snub Michael Owen's attempt to rejoin Liverpool because he wants to sign Peter Crouch instead.

Saturday's papers are awash with stories claiming that Owen has tired of playing second-fiddle at Real Madrid and wants to return to Anfield. The Daily Mail even claims the England striker is 'desperate' to rejoin the European Champions after a year of frustration in the Spanish capital.

With Robinho likely to join Madrid to form an all-Brazilian strikeforce with Ronaldo, his opportunities are set to be further reduced.

Yet Owen's wish to return to England will reputedly be scuppered by Benitez's preference for bean-pole striker Crouch.

"It emerged yesterday that Liverpool were thinking over the prospect of a loan deal for the player they sold in August for 8m," reports The Daily Mirror.

"The idea is being driven by the Anfield board, but it appears manager Rafael Benitez is not particularly keen, and would prefer to press ahead with attempts to sign Southampton striker Peter Crouch."

It is a view shared by The Sun: "After shelling out more than 10m on transfers this summer, Kop chief Benitez does not have the cash to buy him and Southampton hitman Crouch.

"The Spaniard is hopeful he can seal Crouch's signature when the Saints return from their pre-season trip to Scotland this weekend."

The second stumbling block is that Liverpool may not have the financial resources to re-sign Owen, with Madrid keen on cashing-in on the England striker.

"Real would prefer to sell rather than loan, and have set Owen's price at the 18m. That is more than Liverpool could pay, leaving Owen's best hope of a return home seeming to rest with Manchester United, who expressed some interest."

However, Manchester United have made signing a midfielder a priority, with Sir Alex Ferguson keen on signing Bayern Munich's Michael Ballack. With just a solitary year left on his contract, Ballack is reputedly available for a fee of 15m.


JULY 15
Owen in bid for Anfield return

By Chris Bascombe - Liverpool Echo

Michael Owen is desperate to make a sensational return to Liverpool.

The former Reds striker wants to end his Real Madrid exile and Anfield officials have been alerted to Owen's fervent desire to rejoin the club he left last summer.

A dramatic swoop hasn't been ruled out.

However, Rafa Benitez has already made other arrangements in the transfer market and would need convincing to move for the 25-year-old striker.

The European Champions have not budgeted for a bid for Owen, who joined the club as a schoolboy but decided to leave for Spain in an 8m deal last year.

Although Benitez could be in the hunt for a proven goalscorer before the transfer window closes, that would depend on how much he could raise in player sales.

His first priority is a target man, with Southampton's Peter Crouch still top of his wish list.

Liverpool are interested in the possibility of arranging a year loan deal with Real Madrid for Owen, but that would require some skilful negotiation and appears to be an extremely optimistic option at this stage.

Owen left with the Real Madrid squad for a summer tour of America yesterday, but he's anxious to return to England before the start of the season - and Liverpool are currently the only club which interests him.

Model professional Owen has never publicly expressed any discontent about life in Madrid, but privately he's become increasingly disillusioned since leaving England.

On the pitch, Owen's goal record defies the accepted view he's failed to make an impact in Spain.

He scored 14 goals in 22 starts, but he's never completely settled and has found himself regularly on the bench, despite his impressive goal ratio.

Owen scored 158 goals in 298 appearances of an Anfield career which began in 1997 and is seventh on the list of the club's all time goalscorers.


JULY 13
Report: Liverpool up Milito bid

Sporting Life

Liverpool have reportedly bid 7.5million for Real Zaragoza defender Gabriel Milito.

The no-nonsense Argentine stopper almost joined Real Madrid in the summer of 2004, but the move eventually fell through.

But now the hard man, also linked with Manchester United earlier this year, appears to be on his way out of La Liga.

And according to Wednesday's tabloids the European champions would appear to be his likely destination.

The Daily Star reports that Reds boss Rafa Benitez has lodged a 7.5million bid for Milito.The daily says Benitez is a long-term admirer of the defender, and has now increased his initial bid of 6million in a bid to seal a deal.


JULY 12
Gallas fee agreed?

talklfc.com

In spite of reports in the mainstream media to the contrary, Liverpool are believed to have made an offer for Chelsea defender William Gallas. That bid is said to have been accepted by the London club.

Sources close to the club have informed this site that the France international now tops Benitez' transfer list. The Spaniard is believed to have pulled out of deals for Argentine Gabriel Milito and Spain international Pablo Ibanez and opt to add more Premiership experience to his squad.

If Benitez can convince Gallas to swap London for Liverpool it would certainly go down well with the Anfield faithful which has been awaiting the arrival of a top class defender.

The Reds are short for cover at the back since Mauricio Pellegrino left with only Djimi Traore and the unexperienced Zack Withbread left to take over in case Jamie Carragher or Sammi Hyypia get injured or suspended.

A player of Gallas class and experience will definitely be what the doctor ordered.


JULY 11
Reds step up Upson chase

TEAMtalk

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is reportedly set to launch a 5m move for Birmingham defender Matthew Upson as he seeks a long-term replacement for Sami Hyypia.

Benitez is busy reinforcing his squad ahead of the new season and has already brought in five new faces in recent weeks, while Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher have both signed new deals.

Mohamed Sissoko is on his way from Valencia but a defender is still high on Benitez's list for strengthening his squad.

Chelsea's Williams Gallas was linked with a move to Anfield on Sunday but long-term target Upson seems a more realistic option for the European champions.

The England international believes playing European football will enhance his World Cup chances, while he has turned down the chance to sign a new deal at St Andrews.

The 26-year-old still has three years left on his current contract and manager Steve Bruce is desperate to keep the former Arsenal defender.

"We want to build around our best players - and Matt knows what we think of him," said Bruce.

Birmingham chairman David Gold added: "Matt is an important player for us and he is staying here."

However a source close to the player told the Daily Mirror: "Matt had a great season but knows it will be tough to get into the England side unless he plays for a club involved in Europe."


JULY 10
Pompey move for Vignal

By Mark Buckingham - Sky Sports

Portsmouth are reportedly in talks to sign French full back
Gregory Vignal.

Vignal has been told he is free to leave Liverpool after spending last season on loan with Scottish champions Rangers.

The left back rejected a permanent contract at Ibrox and has claimed Newcastle United, Marseille and Stuttgart are interested in his services.

Dutch duo Ajax and Feyenoord, along with Auxerre, are monitoring his situation but Vignal could earn a deal to stay in The Premiership.

He is rumoured to be in discussions over a switch to Fratton Park where he could link up with his compatriot Alain Perrin.

The Pompey boss is looking to strengthen in all areas and perceives Vignal to be a potentially useful addition to his squad.


JUNE 10
Reds enquire about Gallas

By Mark Kendall - Planet Football/Sky Sports

Liverpool are lining up an audacious bid to lure William Gallas from Chelsea.

The French central defender enjoyed a fine season last time around but was vocal in expressing his unhappiness at being forced to play out of position at left back for much of the campaign.

With Chelsea having signed Asier Del Horno, and Wayne Bridge making good progress in his return from injury, Gallas seems unlikely to be asked to perform that role next term, but faces stiff competition to claim a place in the heart of The Blues' rearguard.

John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho appear to be Jose Mourinho's preferred central defensive partnership and, with Robert Huth also waiting in the wings, Gallas could ]find a regular starting spot hard to claim.

Arsenal were reported to be tracking the France international, but his agent Pierre Frelot has now revealed that it is Liverpool and Barcelona who are currently chasing his client.

"It's true Liverpool and Barcelona have asked about William," Frelot told the News of the World.

"But there is no concrete offer and Chelsea have not said they want to sell."

Although Mourinho is bound to be reluctant to let the former Marseille star move on, a 6 million offer might force the Portuguese coach to think about cashing in on a player who will not be happy with a bit-part role next season.

Liverpool are in the market for a new centre back and have been strongly linked with Real Zaragoza's Argentine star Gabriel Milito.

However, with Gallas's future at Stamford Bridge far from certain, boss Rafa Benitez is ready to try to land a player who has already proved his class at Premiership level.


JUNE 9
Liverpool linked with Dario Srna

By Chris McMullan - Shankly Gates

Liverpool have been linked with Croatian & Shakhtar Donetsk right-midfielder Dario Srna.

The news comes after Real Madrid insisted that they wanted a fee for Luis Figo.

Shakhtar Donetsk sporting director Viktor Prokopenko said:

"Yes, Liverpool have made an enquiry into the availability of Dario Srna.

"Dario is of course a player we want to keep, but if the proposition is profitable for Shakhtar and for Dario, then we will release him."

Liverpool are certainly after a right-midfielder and this news can be viewed in two ways:

1. They've given up on signing Luis Figo and are targeting other players.
2. Liverpool are sending a warning to Madrid that they will not be blackmailed over the Figo fee and that Real can continue to pay Figo's bloated wages for another year.


Thor Zakariassen