linked with £6million Premiership striker
Liverpool have been linked with a possible move for Crystal Palace
striker Andy Johnson.
Palace paid Birmingham City £750,000 for the 23-year-old in 2002 and
following his arrival he's been very impressive banging in goals on a
regular basis. So far this season he's got 8 goals, 3 of which have been
Johnson recently signed a new five year contract but according to reports,
Palace would be willing to sell if the right offer came along. It is
claimed that they value him at around £6million.
confirms Reds Mista interest
According to Sky Sports Valencia coach Claudio Ranieri has confirmed
Liverpool are interested in striker Mista.
If Ranieri's quotes are anything to go by, however, he has only said he is
aware Liverpool have been linked with the striker. There is no mention of
the Reds officially stating their interest.
The Spanish striker scored 19 goals last season but Ranieri favours his
countrymen Marco Di Vaio and Bernardo Corradi. This has caused the Spanish
forward to refuse signing a new contract with the champions.
As his current deal will runout next summer Valencia are desperate for him
a new contract or risk losing him for free in the summer.
Ranieri wants to keep the player but he is well aware of his situation and
the interest for him around Europe.
"I am aware Liverpool have been linked with my striker Mista," said
"But a number of clubs from around Europe are looking at him."
Ghana star Kuffour
Premiership big guns Liverpool want to sign Bayern Munich's Ghanaian
defender Sammy Kuffour according to reports in the local German media.
Spanish coach Rafael Benitez wants to bolster his backline for the new
season and has reportedly lodged a four million pound (7.2 million dollar)
bid for African stopper Kuffour.
The 27-year-old Kuffour, who has been at Bayern since 1993, is no longer a
permanent fixture in the first team after the 12 million euro arrival of
Brazilian World Cup winner Lucio in the close season.
Kuffour is keen on a move away from the Olympic Stadium and Munich are
willing to sell the former African Player of the Year as his contract
expires in June 2005 when they risk losing him for nothing. Kuffour has
made over 150 Bundesliga appearances for Bayern winning five German titles
and the holy grail of the Champions League in 2001.
linked with Chelsea midfielder
By Adam Bryant - LFC Online
According to the Sunday Mirror, Liverpool have expressed an interest in
Chelsea's Scott Parker.
The former Charlton midfielder has struggled to get into Jose Mourinho's
side this season and has also attracted the interest of Newcastle United
and Aston Villa.
Former Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri, now at Valencia, is also believed to
be keeping a close eye on developments.
Beni eyes three amigos
By Adam Bryant - LFC Online
Rafael Benitez is looking to bring in new players in January and,
according to the Sunday papers, there may be three more Spanish arrivals
Athletico Madrid's Fernando Torres heads the wanted list, although Benitez
would need to fork out at least £28m for the striker.
Fernando Morientes is still being linked wit a possible move, although he
would cost in the region of £20m.
Liverpool are also looking at Deportivo's £10m midfielder Victor.
Liverpool tipped to open transfer talks
Internet whispers this afternoon claim that the agent of Real Madrid's
Fernando Morientes will arrive in the north west this week for talks with
the Reds about a possible 2005 transfer.
The player recently admitted that he would be up for a move to Anfield and
it's no secret that manager Rafael Benitez is a fan.
Benitez has already informed chief executive Rick Parry that he would like
to sign the player and it's now down to the wallet to see if a deal can be
Newspaper reports today claim that Liverpool's feeder club Everton will
make a double swoop for Stephane Henchoz and Djimi Traore when the
transfer window re-opens in January.
Manager Rafael Benitez blocked Traore's proposed Everton move in the
summer but his counterpart David Moyes believes the Reds will do business
in 2005 although he may have to wait until the summer.
Stephane Henchoz, sadly, is available for transfer.
target Racing Santander winger
Reports originating from Israel claim that Rafael Benitez has
re-assigned scouts to monitor Racing Santander winger Yossi Benayoun.
The 24-year-old Israel international scored two spectacular goals against
Switzerland last weekend and it is claimed that Liverpool representatives
were there to see him in action.
They won't have been disappointed. His first goal was a superb solo effort
as he weaved his way through the middle of the Swiss defence before
rounding the 'keeper to sidefoot into the empty goal. He acrobatically
volleyed home a rebounding shot off the 'keeper for his second.
Gerard Houllier had the the former Ajax star tracked in the past but
nothing ever came of our interest.
Arsenal ready to rescue £10million Owen
Premiership giants Arsenal will make a £10million offer for Real Madrid
striker Michael Owen at the end of the season, claim newspaper reports in
the U.K. today.
Potential bidders are already queuing up to try and tempt the former
Liverpool striker to leave the Bernabeu if his Real Madrid nightmare
continues. Liverpool have first option on the player but the latest
whispers suggest the player wouldn't be interested in returning to
Italian outfit Juventus were yesterday linked with the player but if
today's reports are to be believed, Arsenal have already moved to register
their interest with Real Madrid. It is also claimed that Arsenal
intermediaries have aleardy made contact with Owen's agents to inform them
that if he wants to come home, they will have a bid ready and waiting for
It is claimed that Real have slapped a £14million valuation on the
Brown set for
Wes Brown has turned down a new contract at Manchester United, sparking
rumours that he is set to leave Old Trafford.
Liverpool, Astron Villa and Newcastle are the three clubs being linked
with a possible move according to today's Mirror.
With his current contract due to expire in the summer, if no agreement has
been reached by January United will sell him to the highest bidder.
Liverpool have apparently already been in touch with Brown's agent and may
be the first to make a move for the defender.
Barca target Hamann
By Peter ORourke - Planet Football/Sky Sports
Barcelona are reported to be pondering a surprise move for Liverpool
midfielder Dietmar Hamann when the transfer window reopens.
The Spanish giants are considering re-entering the transfer market in
January to help ease a midfield crisis.
With Edmilson and Thiago Motta long-term injury victims at Camp Nou Barca
coach Frank Rijkaard is short of options in midfield.
The Dutchman is keen to bring in a new midfielder in the New Year as he
looks to keep Barca on the road to challenging for honours.
Arsenal's Brazilian international Edu is believed to be Barca's top target
to alleviate their midfield problems, although the Spanish club have
played down their interest in the South American.
Reports in Spain now suggest that Barca are drawing up a list of
alternatives should they fail to lure Edu away from Highbury.
Hamann is believed to be among the list of targets to fill the defensive
role in their midfield having missed out to Real Madrid for Argentine
The German's future at Liverpool is uncertain following the arrival and
impact of summer signing Xabi Alonso.
The former Newcastle man was even dropped from the starting line-up for
his side's last game at Chelsea with Senegal international Salif Diao
getting the nod ahead of him to start in midfield.
Hamann was strongly linked with a move away from Merseyside during the
summer and with his contract coming to an end next summer speculation is
sure to intensify.
Liverpool could be prepared to sell him in January rather than risk losing
him for nothing in the summer as it would raise more funds for Reds boss
Rafa Benitez to spend himself in the transfer window.
up Morientes bid
Rafael Benitez is lining up a fresh bid for Fernando Morientes as he
looks to strengthen his attacking options in the January transfer window.
The Liverpool manager tried to sign the Real Madrid star this summer but
was thwarted when the striker handed his support to Jose Camacho in his
first season at the Bernabeu.
Camacho's abrupt departure as Madrid coach has cast doubt on Morientes's
long-term future and Liverpool are ready to test whether his resolve has
been weakened by the managerial upheaval.
Michael Owen has been repeatedly linked with a return to Anfield in the
transfer window, even though Fifa rules prevent such a move until next
Benitez, however, remains anxious to improve his weakened attack and sees
the experienced Spanish international as an ideal addition with Djibril
Cisse and Milan Baros struggling to make an impact and only Florent
Sinama-Pongolle in support.
Speaking last month Benitez, who also wanted to lure Jonathan Woodgate to
Anfield, revealed: "I wanted Morientes as part of the Owen deal but he had
given his word to Camacho to stay and he kept it."
Liverpool bid rejected
Liverpool were linked with Blackburn Rovers midfielder Barry Ferguson
over the weekend by one of the Sunday newspapers.
Former boss Gerard Houllier was a keen admirer of the player before he was
signed by Rovers and the player's agent has revealed what we told you at
the time in that Glasgow Rangers rejected an £8million bid from Anfield
for his services.
"I spoke to Liverpool a couple of seasons ago when Gerard Houllier was
manager and they made an £8 million offer to Rangers, but it was
rejected," said Ferguson's agent John Viola.
"Liverpool have always shown interest in Barry but at this stage there has
been no approach from the new regime."
Reds eye Depor star
By Francisco Acedo - Planet Football/Sky Sports
Liverpool are understood to be lining up a move for Deportivo La Coruna
Reds boss Rafa Benitez is a long-term admirer of the player, and sees the
Spain international as the answer to the problem right side of midfield
position at Anfield.
Benitez tried to sign the former Real Madrid star during his time at
Valencia, but was frustrated by Depor's elevated valuation of the player.
However, with more spending power at his disposal now he is with
Liverpool, a renewed bid for the 28-year-old looks likely when the
transfer window reopens in January.
Benitez has already brought four Spaniards to Anfield since taking over,
but an injury to winger Antonio Nunez has left him short of options on the
right side of midfield.
Ironically, Benitez could well face competition from former club Valencia
for Victor's services, with Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid also
Despite being a regular for Depor, the Galician outfit could well be
persuaded to part with their midfielder - who is under contract at The
Riazor until June 2006 - if a sizeable offer comes in.
Boss Javier Irureta is thought to be lining up a swoop for Andres
D'Alessandro and could use any proceeds from Victor's sale to fund a move
for Wolfsburg's Argentine star.
For his part, Victor insisted he was fully focused on playing for Depor
and claimed he was not thinking about a possible transfer.
"My objective at the moment is Deportivo and I do not want to think about
other clubs," he stated.
"This is a matter for the clubs and does not involve me at this point."