Rumours

September - 2004

HEADLINES
3009: Liverpool planning 8million swoop
1609: Dutch linked with Djimi
0909: Benitez planning multi-million pound...
0509: Kewell on his way out?
0509: Real linked with Gerrard
 
RUMOURS ARCHIVE              
2004
April  May  June  July  August
January  February  March
 

SEPTEMBER 30
Liverpool planning 8million swoop

Kop Talk

Newspaper reports today claim that Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is lining-up an 8million 2005 bid for Valencia ace Vicente.

The 23-year-old winger was close to Rafael Benitez while he was at Valencia and could be keen to link up with him again but you'd expect him to cost much more than 8million.


SEPTEMBER 16
Dutch linked with Djimi

By Alex Livie - Sky Sports

Feyenoord coach Ruud Gullit is believed to be monitoring the situation of Djimi Traore at Liverpool.

The Kuip club's coach made a commanding central defender his top summer priority, but he missed out on principal target Martin Laursen.

Having not reinforced his defence during the summer, Gullit is believed to be looking at options for when the transfer window re-opens in January.

Sections of the Dutch media are suggesting that Liverpool defender Traore has come under the microscope.

Traore seemed set to join Everton in the summer but a move was blocked due to an injury crisis at Anfield.

When Rafa Benitez has all his options available, Traore is down the pecking order and a move could happen in January but it remains to be seen if he fancies a switch to De Eredivisie.


SEPTEMBER 9
Benitez planning multi-million pound transfer swoop

Kop Talk

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez is planning on raiding his former club in January now that the legal problems with Valencia have been resolved.

With the Spanish club now having to pay him monies owed to him from unpaid wages and bonuses - as revealed on this site earlier this week - the manager is free to make a move for players who he wanted to bring to Anfield in the summer.

Benitez will now be able to select from Santiago Canizares, Roberto Ayala, Ruben Baraja, Pablo Aimar and Miguel Angel 'Mista' Ferrer, all of whom were linked to us over the summer. Whispers around Anfield suggest that Mista will be targeted in January when the transfer window briefly re-opens.

If nothing materialises in January, we may have to wait until the end of the season to see some quality reinforcements brought in. But from what we're now hearing, a big shake-up can be expected in 2005.


SEPTEMBER 5
Kewell on his way out?

By Kevin Smith - LFC Online

The Sunday Express report that Harry Kewell could soon be on his way out of Anfield.

According to the paper 'insiders at Anfield believe that new boss Rafael Benitez has yet to be convinced by Kewell's attitude'.

The arrival of Luis Garcia and Benitez's determination to give Stephen Warnock a break will no doubt put pressure on the Aussie winger to either improve or consider moving on.


SEPTEMBER 5
Real linked with Gerrard

BBC Sport Online

Real Madrid have made Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard their number one 2005 transfer target, according to reports in Spain.

"Gerrard is the target for Real," stated Spanish sports daily AS.

Real spent most of the summer trying to lure Arsenal's Patrick Vieira to the Bernabeu but the French midfielder opted to stay at Highbury.

The paper also said that talks to sign striker Francesco Totti had already started with his Italian club Roma.

After Euro 2004, Gerrard admitted he was ready to leave Liverpool before new manager Rafael Benitez persuaded him to stay.

Gerrard had seemed set to join Chelsea but decided to stay at Anfield.

"Everyone linked me with Chelsea and assumed that was where I was going but, to be honest, there were three or four good clubs knocking on my agent's door," said Gerrard.


Thor Zakariassen