Liverpool have reportedly rejected an £8million bid from Tottenham for
striker Djibril Cisse.
The French striker is sadly available but only if someone offers something
close to the £14million Liverpool shelled out for him when Gerard Houllier
was in charge.
Liverpool chased the striker for a number of years before finally getting
their man. But now they're looking at cashing in purely for financial
Roma snub Reds' Mexes
By Nadia Carminati & Patrick Haond - Sky Sports
Liverpool have reportedly missed out on the signing of Roma defender
The European champions are desperate to bring in a new centre half before
Wednesday's transfer deadline and Mexes has emerged as the latest target.
Mexes was coveted by The Reds during Gerard Houllier's tenure as manager
before the France international controversially joined Roma from Auxerre
The defender's switch to Serie A was a complex affair which eventually saw
Mexes hit with a suspension and Roma landed with a transfer ban.
Auxerre complained about Roma's conduct in the case and, earlier this
summer, Fifa imposed a ban on the Giallorossi being involved in any transfer
That suspension has been lifted pending an appeal and that prompted
Liverpool to enquire about Mexes' availability.
Reds boss Rafa Benitez wanted to take the stylish stopper on a season-long
loan with a view to a permanent move.
Benitez's opposite number Luciano Spalletti blocked the transfer, as he
perceives Mexes to be a key figure in his plans for this season.
With the pursuit of Mexes at a close, and a move for Marseille's Abdoulaye
Meite reaching a dead end, Benitez will have to look elsewhere for a new
centre half in the next 48 hours.
Liverpool table £4.5million bid for defender
Reports today claim that Liverpool have tabled a £4.5million bid for
Danish centre-back Daniel Agger.
The 20-year-old Brondby starlet figured for Denmark against England last
week and numerous scouts were at the match to see him in action. Liverpool
are said to be keen admirers along with rivals Everton.
It is suggested that Brondby will try and hold out for £6million but will
Rafa go so high with other targets still on the agenda?
Reds rival United
By Peter ORourke - Sky Sports
Liverpool are reported to be ready to hijack Manchester United's bid for
Brazilian defender Cicinho.
Manchester United are thought to have held talks with the Sao Paulo star
over a possible move to Old Trafford.
The 25-year-old has attracted the interest of a host of clubs after
impressing for Brazil in their Confederations Cup campaign earlier this
The South American claims Liverpool are now challenging United for his
signature and that he would like to move to England.
"Manchester United are a great club that challenges for big trophies, but I
have also heard Liverpool are now interested," said Cicinho. "It's a matter
for my agents.
"I went to Manchester and was shown around the training facilities. I had a
conversation with Sir Alex Ferguson and he wanted to know what I thought of
"I told him what every Brazilian thinks, that it's a great league and any
professional would regard it as a fantastic challenge.
"The game in England is very fast and very physical but I reckon the
adaptation process would be swift."
no go sees Rafa back for Stelios
By Alan Nixon - Daily Mirror
Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is back on the trail of Bolton's Greek star
Benitez renewed his interest in Stelios yesterday after he was told Aston
Villa's Peruvian star Nolberto Solano was not available.
Stelios has a £1million escape clause in his contract and Liverpool are
expected to match that figure over the weekend and ask for permission to
speak to him.
Bolton are losing their fight to keep Stelios after Manchester City made an
offer last week - with a £25,000-a-week contract on the table for the
City thought they had Stelios in the bag but bad blood between them and
Bolton has scuppered their bid and given Liverpool a second chance.
Liverpool will have to come up with a similar deal for Stelios but Benitez
is pushing hard for him although other figures at Anfield would prefer
Solano, who has said he would love a move to Anfield.
Rafa checking out Meite
By Patrick Haond - Sky Sports
Liverpool's search for a new central defender has taken them to France.
Rafa Benitez has tended to favour players from La Liga but has sent spies to
Marseille to watch Abdoulaye Meite in action.
The Ivory Coast international has the sort of qualities Benitez is looking
for as he seeks a rugged stopper to help increase his options at the back.
It is understood that the 24-year-old would be attracted by any switch to
Merseyside even though he is under contract until 2008.
Newcastle United and Werder Bremen have previously been admirers of Meite,
who was formerly with Red Star in France before clinching a dream move to
Bolton Wanderers tried to sign him last summer but the versatile defender
opted to remain at Stade Velodrome.
Meite was on the bench for his country's midweek friendly defeat to France
but scouts from Anfield could watch him at Rennes over the weekend.
Lyon's £8.5m bid for
By Chris Bascombe - Liverpool Echo
Lyon today raised the stakes in the race for Milan Baros by tabling an
astonishing £8.5m bid for the striker.
Former Anfield boss Gerard Houllier underlined his determination to recruit
the Czech international with a huge offer for the player he brought to
Anfield three years ago.
Aston Villa were in pole position to recruit Baros, who has expressed a
preference to move to the Midlands.
Indeed, although Liverpool have accepted the French champions' bid, Baros
has already informed the Reds he doesn't want to be reunited with his
Liverpool are hoping the lure of Champions League football will make Baros
rethink and are prepared to wait until the transfer window is nearly closed
for a final decision from the striker.
Lyon's offer is a serious setback to Villa, who hoped to secure the Czech
striker for £2m less.
Villa's £6.5m offer has obviously been rejected by the Reds.
Lyon bid for
Newspaper reports today claim that French outfit Lyon have tabled an
offer for Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse.
It is claimed that Lyon boss Gerard Houllier is offering us former Arsenal
striker Sylvain Wiltord plus £4million in cash for Cisse who cost a club
record £14million when signed from Auxerre in 2004.
If the reports are true, we can only laugh them off because what idiot would
allow Cisse to leave for so little and so soon?
While Cisse is yet to convince us that he's right for the club, there's no
doubting his ability. Obviously we have to take into consideration that
horrific injury so it will be some time before we start knifing him if he
Cisse is settled at Anfield and in the city in general and wouldn't want to
move back to France at this stage of his career.
Liverpool linked with Premiership winger
Liverpool have reportedly registered an interest in Aston Villa winger
Nolberto Solano (30).
We were furious that we made no attempt to sign the Peruvian international
when Newcastle made him available for a bargain £1.5million during the
2003-04 season so this is a signing that we'd endorse, if it becomes a
Aston Villa snapped him up in January 2004 and it wasn't long before he was
linked with a move back to St James' Park, although Solano insisted he was
happy where he was.
Newspaper reports today claim that Liverpool could include him in the
proposed Milan Baros deal.
Overseas targets for
By Patrick Haond - Planet Football/Sky Sports
Sylvain Wiltord and Hasan Salihamidzic are potential solutions to
Liverpool's wing dilemma.
Reds boss Rafa Benitez is anxious to bring in a new right winger before the
close of the transfer window after missing out on Portuguese ace Luis Figo.
Benitez is scouring Europe for the missing piece in his jigsaw and has been
linked with Bolton's Stelios Giannakopoulos and Fulham's Steed Malbranque.
The Spanish coach is also looking outside of The Premiership and has been
mentioned in connection with Lyon attacker Wiltord and Bayern Munich man
Rumours persist that Wiltord is unsettled at Lyon as, despite previous
denials, reports continue that he has a strained relationship with coach
The former Arsenal man has 12 months remaining on his contract and has yet
to fully convince the ex-Liverpool boss of his merits for a regular place in
the starting line-up.
But while Benitez is looking at Wiltord, it is understood his preferred
targets are Malbranque and Salihamidzic.
The Bosnia international has spent seven seasons with Bayern and is a
valuable member of Felix Magath's squad.
He has two years left on his contract and Benitez may have to stump up a
significant sum if he follows through with his interest in the wide man.
Liverpool linked with former Arsenal striker
According to one very brief newspaper report today, Liverpool boss Rafael
Benitez is considering making a £1.5million offer to Lyon for former Arsenal
striker Sylvain Wiltord.
It is claimed the player doesn't get on with Lyon boss Gerard Houllier and
would jump at the chance to return to the Premiership. Wiltord was offered
to Liverpool - shortly before Houllier left the club - on a free transfer
but we weren't interested.
Arsenal paid a club record £13million in August 2000 for the player. But at
31, his best years are most definitely behind him.
Liverpool table £12million bid for striker
Liverpool have reportedly tabled a cash offer of £12million for former
Reds striker Michael Owen.
According to newspaper reports today both Liverpool and Newcastle have
made official bids. Newcastle's bid is said to be worth £14million which
will obviously be a concern for the Reds if the claims are accurate.
If you believe the reports, Liverpool chief Rick Parry has offered a
£6million up front payment with a further £6million to be paid over the next
The transfer window closes on August 31st.
Milan linked with possible Anfield swoop
Italian giants AC Milan have been linked with a possible move for
Liverpool striker Milan Baros.
It is claimed that the Czech international has been short-listed by Milan
boss Carlo Ancelotti who wants to strengthen his squad.
Marco Di Vaio is another played said to be attracting interest from the San
Siro but Baros would prove to be an easier option if Milan are prepared to
meet Liverpool's £7million valuation.
Aston Villa remain favourites to sign Baros after tabling a bid of
Monaco back in for
By Patrick Haond - Sky Sports
Monaco are considering an increased offer for Liverpool striker Milan
Baros as they also chase Bordeaux defender Marc Planus.
Baros is Monaco's top target as coach Didier Deschamps aims to bring in a
new centre forward before the close of the transfer window.
A bid for the Czech Republic international has already been knocked back by
Liverpool, while Aston Villa are also interested in Baros.
Reds boss Rafa Benitez admits no club have yet met his valuation of the hot
shot but Monaco are now weighing up a revised bid for Baros.
If Deschamps fails to come up with an offer which suits Liverpool, he is set
to turn his attention to Spartak Moscow ace Fernando Cavenaghi.
Deschamps is also on the prowl for a new centre half after seeing Julien
Rodriguez move on to Scottish champions Rangers.
Bordeaux stopper Planus is his chief target, although Anderlecht and Paris
Saint Germain are also interested in the 23-year-old.
Planus is in talks to extend his Bordeaux contract until 2008 but Monaco
have enquired about a price for the defender.
give green light for transfer bid
Newspaper reports today claim that Rafael Benitez has been given the
green light to sign former Liverpool striker Michael Owen, as exclusively
revealed by Insider sources on 2nd August.
We were originally told back in January that the board were keen on
re-signing the England hitman and things are thankfully now falling into
place as a deal looks more and more likely subject to Real Madrid's conduct.
Today's reports suggest that the club's big cheese have assured the manager
that money spent on Owen wouldn't prevent additional signings.
Owen wants to return to Anfield but technically he could be forced to Old
Trafford if the Mancs fall into Real's trap and pay an increased fee for the
player, something which Liverpool will not do, hence the 'playing it cool'
attitude which we've seen so far.
Steed still talked
By Patrick Haond - Planet Football/Sky Sports
Liverpool are the latest team to be linked with a move for Fulham
midfielder Steed Malbranque.
The France international schemer has been one of the most talked about
players during the summer transfer window, with Manchester City and
Newcastle both credited with an interest in the former Lyon man.
Fulham have insisted clubs will have to pay above market value to land their
gifted midfielder, with manager Chris Coleman having rejected an offer from
Manchester City for his services.
Newcastle are also rumoured to have failed with a bid for Malbranque and now
Liverpool are said to be monitoring the situation with interest.
Liverpool were linked with the midfielder a couple of seasons ago, but their
absorption cooled following the departure of manager Gerard Houllier.
It would appear that Houllier's successor Rafa Benitez is a fan of the
midfielder and talk in France suggests the Spanish coach could be ready to
make an offer for Malbranque.
Lyon back in for Baros
By Chris Bascombe - Liverpool Echo
Milan Baros is edging closer to the Anfield exit as French duo Monaco and
Lyon battle for his signature.
The Czech striker could leave within the next 48 hours, with former boss
Gerard Houllier re-igniting his interest in the £7m rated striker.
Houllier is keen to pair Baros with John Carew and the lure of Champions
League football is thought to be tempting the 23-year-old.
Monaco, who play in a Euro qualifier this week, have also registered their
interest although no firm bid has been made.
Anfield officials say interest in the forward has increased over the weekend
and a move abroad is the most likely outcome after Premiership duo Aston
Villa and Everton dropped out of the chase.
Baros has again been withdrawn from the squad travelling to Bulgaria
tomorrow as his future looks to be resolved.
Funds from the Baros transfer have already been set aside to pay for a new
centre-half, although the Reds' chase for Deportivo's Jorge Andrade is
likely to end in frustration. The Spanish side insist their defender is not
Manager Rafa Benitez is mulling over several alternatives as he desperately
seeks cover for Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia.
Luis Figo's decisionto join Inter Milan rather than the European Champions
has also left Benitez with a headache on the right side of midfield.
Numerous alternatives have been proposed, with Bolton's Stelios
Giannokopolis once again linked with the Reds over the weekend. However, a
move for the Bolton winger is highly unlikely.
Seville's £6m rated Brazilian winger Daniel Alves is on Benitez's wanted
list, but once more, Liverpool's approaches have been frustrated by his
side's unwillingness to sell.
Monaco fear Villa bid
By Patrick Haond - Sky Sports
Monaco fear Aston Villa are leading the race to sign Liverpool's
unsettled striker Milan Baros.
The Principality outfit are very keen to sign the Czech Republic
international but fear they will lose a bidding war with Premiership clubs.
Everton and West Ham are also interested in Baros but sources claim Villa
are in prime position to agree a deal with Liverpool.
The offer from Monaco is believed to be in the region of €8.5 million
(around £5.9 million) while David O'Leary is said to be prepared to splash
out up to €10 million (around £7 million) for the Euro 2004 hero.
Baros open to Monaco
By Patrick Haond - Planet Football/Sky Sports
Milan Baros reportedly favours a move to Monaco if he leaves Liverpool.
The Czech Republic international is still waiting for his Anfield future to
be resolved, having not featured in the club's UEFA Champions League
qualifiers this season.
Reds boss Rafa Benitez has not closed the door on Baros staying at the club
but the signs suggest the striker will be moving on before the August
Schalke dropped their interest in the 23-year-old after failing to tempt
Liverpool into accepting the offer of a season-long loan.
Liverpool's city rivals Everton have expressed a willingness to sign Baros,
while Aston Villa and West Ham United are also keen on the forward.
But reports in France suggest that Monaco are now leading the chase for
Baros' signature, with Didier Deschamps eager to bring in a new front man.
The Monaco coach is looking to introduce greater harmony into his squad and
feels Baros' personality would be ideal following the recent turbulence
created by the Emmanuel Adebayor saga.
Baros had agreed terms with Schalke, and is clearly open to leaving The
Premiership, with Monaco hopeful they can put forward a persuasive argument
to entice the player to Stade Louis II.
still rescue Owen
By Phil McNulty,Chief football writer - BBC Sport Online
Liverpool may launch a shock move to bring former striker Michael Owen
back to Anfield after he admitted interest from Premiership clubs.
Owen may leave Real Madrid in an £11m deal after the Spanish giants signed
Robinho and Julio Baptista.
Liverpool had been eliminated from the race for the 25-year-old after paying
£7m to sign Southampton's Peter Crouch.
But BBC Sport understands the Reds have not ruled out a deal that would see
Owen return after a year in Spain.
It had been thought boss Rafael Benitez had been reluctant to bring Owen
back to Anfield, only 12 months after he left in an £8m transfer before
playing a competitive game for the Spaniard.
And it is believed several pieces of the Benitez jigsaw would still have to
fall into place before the possibility of a dramatic Owen return could
Benitez's current top priority is a central defender, with Birmingham's
Matthew Upson and Deportivo La Coruna's Jorge Andrade on his hit-list.
And Liverpool would then need the cash to finance any Owen deal - with much
depending on raking in £7m for Milan Baros and how much they would have to
pay for their top defensive target.
But Liverpool are confident of getting their asking price for the
23-year-old Czech striker, who is surplus to requirements.
Everton have not come back to Liverpool with a bid after making an initial
inquiry, while Aston Villa have so far refused to go above £6m.
But BBC Sport can reveal Monaco have now entered the race for Baros, and
former boss Gerard Houllier retains an interest in taking him to Lyon.
Owen has been linked with Manchester United and Newcastle, with Liverpool
very much regarded as the outsiders.
But United have cooled and Owen will show no interest in Newcastle after
they were knocked out of the Intertoto Cup by Deportivo La Coruna.
It is understood Owen would jump at the chance to play for Liverpool again,
and while it is still regarded as a long shot inside Anfield, the
Merseysiders have not - despite suggestions to the contrary - ruled it out.
Blues keen on Milan
By Adam Bryant - LFC Online
David Moyes is sniffing around Milan Baros, after the Czech striker's
proposed move to Schalke 04 collapsed.
Having failed to lure any big names to Goodison over the summer the Everton
boss is desperate to bolster his squad for a tough Champions League
But whether or not they are prepared to offer Liverpool's £9million asking
prize remains to be seen.