Deschamps considered Reds
Marseille boss Didier Deschamps has confirmed he considered
Liverpool's approach before agreeing a contract extension
with the French champions.
The Reds contacted the French champions over their interest
in appointing the former France World Cup-winning captain as
a successor to Rafa Benitez.
But Deschamps swiftly ended speculation over his future by
signing a contract extension which keeps him at Stade
Velodrome until June 2012.
Fulham manager Roy Hodgson is now the hot favourite for the
Anfield post with an annoucement expected in the next 24
Deschamps said: "I have been contacted by a great club, and
of course it leads you to think.
"It was not a money matter. I have always favoured the
"I have extended, and I am pleased with it. The chairman
wanted it. I am always asking for respect from the players,
I had to fulfil my commitment."
Torres: I'm not worried
Fernando Torres today acknowledged he has so far failed to
hit top gear in the World Cup - but the striker is confident
the goals will soon begin to flow
in South Africa.
He said: "I am the first person to hold his hand up and say
that 'I have to give much more', but I'm sure that the
performances will arrive soon.
"I always think to myself that I could have played better.
I'm still not yet playing at the standard expected of me
from fans, and at the very least I should be offering the
supporters that level.
"I've always been very demanding when it comes to how I play
and I know I'm not at the standard that everyone expects
from me. But with every game I feel much better and I've
still got a lot more to offer."
(LFC Official Website)
Milan Jovanovic confirms
three-year Liverpool FC deal
Milan Jovanovic has ended speculation that his move to
Liverpool is on the rocks by revealing that he has agreed a
three-year deal with the club.
Reports had claimed that departed Reds manager Rafael
Benitez was planning to tempt the Standard Liege attacker,
29, to Inter Milan and after he had hinted that his Bosman
transfer to Anfield could be reneged upon either by himself
or the club.
But Serbia international Jovanovic, who scored the winning
goal for his country in their historic World Cup win over
Germany earlier this month, insists that he fully expects to
report for pre-season training next month as a Liverpool
"I am going to Liverpool," he told Nieuwsblad.
"I have signed there for three years. I repeat: no
pre-agreement - a real contract.
"And the departure of Benítez changes nothing. I have
maintained contact with the executive board of Liverpool and
everything is good.
"Everything is in order since in the last two years I have
played 75 per cent of the matches for my national side.Next
I am looking for a house.
"On the 14th or 15th July I will join the squad for a
training camp in Switzerland. But, as from Thursday, I want
start my individual training programme so I can show them
immediately that I am worth a place in the side."
rallies behind Torres
Spanish goal hero David Villa has rallied behind Fernando
Torres after his strike partner turned in another
disappointing World Cup performance in the European
champions' 1-0 win over Portugal.
"We know what state his knee was in a month ago and I don't
agree with those who say that Fernando Torres's performances
have been below par," Villa told reporters at Cape Town's
Green Point Stadium.
Hodgson is the new
Liverpool FC manager
Roy Hodgson will be officially named Liverpool FC’s new
manager today (Wednesday).
The 62-year-old is due on Merseyside to complete the
formalities of signing a contract after the Reds agreed a
compensation package in the region of £2million with Fulham
for his release.
Cordial negotiations have been ongoing in the past 72 hours
between Liverpool’s Managing Director Christian Purslow and
Fulham Chief Executive Alastair Mackintosh and they have now
reached a successful conclusion.
Report: Real Madrid ready
£20m bid for Gerrard
Real Madrid are set to test Liverpool's resolve to keep hold
of skipper Steven Gerrard by slapping in a £20 million bid,
according to The Times.
Roy Hodgson poised to become
new Liverpool manager
Roy Hodgson is set to be appointed Liverpool's new manager
BBC Sport understands.
The Reds were granted permission to speak to the 62-year-old
two weeks ago by his current club Fulham.
Hodgson has also been linked with the England manager's job
following the team's humiliating exit from the World Cup but
Liverpool have acted quickly.
"Hodgson has always been the number one target of the board
at Anfield to replace Benitez," said Ian Dennis, Radio 5
live's senior football reporter.
(BBC Sport Online)
Benitez exit was ‘best for
everyone’ says Fernando Torres
Fernando Torres has admitted Liverpool’s decision to part
company with Rafa Benitez was “best for everyone,” writes
The Spanish striker, who is preparing for tonight’s World
Cup last 16 clash with Portugal, was bitterly disappointed
to see Benitez leave earlier this month.
He was brought to Anfield by Benitez in the summer of 2007
and has often credited the now Inter Milan manager as being
responsible for making him
a better player.
However, Torres feels that, after a season of unrelenting
pressure and disappointment, a fresh start was needed for
the good of all concerned.
“At this time I believe it was best for everyone,” Torres
said. “He won everything and last year they demanded too
much from him.”
Kuyt joy, Skrtel pain
Dirk Kuyt helped bring Martin Skrtel's World Cup dream to an
end as Holland beat Slovakia 2-1 in the last 16 of the
tournament on Monday afternoon.
Goals in each half from Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder
secured victory for Oranje, who now face a mouth-watering
quarter-final clash against either Brazil or Chile on
Friday, while Robert Vittek netted a consolation from the
penalty spot deep into injury-time.
Kuyt and Skrtel both figured for 90 minutes in Durban, while
Ryan Babel was again named amongst the Dutch substitutes.
(LFC Official Website)
Jeremy Hunt 'sorry' over
Hillsborough hooligans claim
Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt has apologised after
suggesting that hooliganism played a part in the
Hillsborough football disaster.
Ninety-six Liverpool fans were crushed to death on 15 April
1989 at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium.
He praised the England fans at the 2010 World Cup saying the
"terrible problems" of "Heysel and Hillsborough in the 1980s
seem now to be behind us".
Investigations have found that violence played no part in
Mr Hunt was giving an interview following England's exit
from the World Cup, where he applauded the behaviour of
Apologising, he said: "I know that fan unrest played no part
in the terrible events of April 1989 and I apologise to
Liverpool fans and the families of those killed and injured
in the Hillsborough disaster if my comments caused any
Margaret Aspinall, chairwoman of the Hillsborough Family
Support Group, said: "I am absolutely fed up of people
saying things like that, for 21 years we have been fighting
for justice, we have been fighting to get the message out
that it was not down to drink, it was not down to
"He is the culture secretary - he is well informed he should
know better. It's not like it happened two weeks ago, this
was decades ago.
"He can apologise but it has still really upset me. I only
found out because someone rang me on my mobile, I have not
spoken to the rest of the Hillsborough families yet because
I am only just about coping with my own anger.
"I will be writing to him on behalf of all the survivors of
the disaster and asking to have a meeting with him."
(BBC Sport Online)
Report: Liverpool priced out of
for Galatasaray coach Rijkaard
Liverpool have been priced out of a move for Galatasaray
coach Frank Rijkaard.
Report: Hodgson wants transfer cash
guarantees before taking Liverpool job
Fulham boss Roy Hodgson wants guarantees over transfer
spending money before committing to the Liverpool job.
The Mirror says Hodgson will be appointed Liverpool boss
this week once he has finalised a guaranteed transfer kitty.