Huang's take it or leave it offer
Kenny Huang is ready to call time on his bid to mount a
Liverpool Football Club.
The Times reports he has issued a "take or leave it" offer
to Martin Broughton.
Amongst Huang's concerns is a perceived effort to push up a
selling price by talking up weaker bids, and, a fear that
the Reds may miss out on a Champions League place unless Roy
Hodgson is given funds prior to the summer transfer window
Trio set for Anfield exits
Diego Cavalieri is set to join Italian outfit Cesena though
will deputise for Pepe Renia in Thursday evening's Europa
League meeting with Trabzonspor.
A fee has been agreed with the newly promoted Serie A outfit
and a medical will take place after Liverpool finish in
Brad Jones, signed earlier in the week from Middlesbrough,
will be the number two choice between the posts this coming
Roy Hodgson has confirmed the likely move.
"Diego has done a marvellous job for the last three years,"
"He's a very good goalkeeper and a very good person, but he
made it clear to me at the start of the season that after
three years of watching Pepe play every week he might, if
he's not careful, lose his goalkeeping ability or his status
as a first-team goalkeeper.
"He made it clear he'd like to leave and find a club where
he'll be able to play on a regular basis, so we set about
the task of finding someone we thought would be as good a
complement to Pepe Reina as Cavalieri has been.
"That's why Brad Jones has come in.
Krisztián Németh is set to for a temporary absence from
Anfield after the Reds agreed a deal that would see him join
Olympiakos for a season.
Ryan Babel who is understood to have received reignited
interest from Birmingham City is also be looked at by
Steve McClaren took charge of the Bundesliga outfit durng
the summer and could offer £9 million for the Dutch forward.
(This is Anfield)
Agger can't recall Arsenal draw
Concussed Liverpool defender Daniel Agger has no
recollection of Sunday's game against Arsenal, according to
manager Roy Hodgson.
Agger suffered concussion after a knock in the second half
of the 1-1 Premier League draw at Anfield.
Team-mate Jamie Carragher signalled to the bench he should
be replaced as he received treatment but, with three
substitutes already used, that was
not an option.
With Joe Cole having been sent off, Liverpool were
temporarily reduced to nine men as Agger was taken to the
sidelines but the 25-year-old eventually returned to the
Yet the player is still suffering from headaches as a result
of the clash and will not be considered for tomorrow's
Europa League play-off first leg
Hodgson said: "Daniel is not doing that well.
"It is three days after the incident and he is still
suffering from the concussion. He has no memory of the game.
"It was quite a serious concussion he received and we can
only hope it will settle down in time for Monday's match
against Manchester City.
"There was never any question he would be fit for tomorrow.
"He is not able to do very much at the moment because he is
"Even something as simple as reading a newspaper or watching
TV can give him a headache so it is just a question of him
taking things easy."
Hyypia wanted Reds return
Bayer Leverkusen executive Wolfgang Holzhauser has confirmed
that Sami Hyypia wanted to re-sign for Liverpool.
New Anfield manager Roy Hodgson confessed earlier in August
that he had unsuccessfully attempted to prise the veteran
centre-back out of the remaining one year of his contract in
Hyypia left Liverpool at the end of the 2008/09 season as
the ex-Finland defender sought guaranteed first-team
football after 10 years on Merseyside.
But Holzhauser has confirmed that Hyypia was keen to return
to England, having worked with summer appointment Hodgson at
Holzhauser told the Express newspaper: "Sami came to us
asking if there would be any chance to return to Liverpool.
"We had an open discussion. Sami accepted straight away that
we were desperate to keep him here.
"He is too important for us and a valuable part of our
first-team squad. We could easily imagine keeping Sami at
our club for more than the remaining year
of his contract.
"He may add another season on the pitch and we are also
considering adding him to our backroom staff afterwards, if
According to reports, Hodgson wanted to offer Hyypia a
four-year contract that would see the 36-year-old play until
June 2011 before moving into a role as assistant manager.
Reds capture Oldham starlet
Liverpool have agreed a deal to take 14-year-old Oldham
starlet Iaia Embarlo to Anfield for a sum of £25,000.
The Portuguese striker, who attended the Latics' centre of
excellence, has moved for that initial fee with further
add-ons included in the deal.
Embarlo is the latest youngster to leave Boundary Park for
the the Barclays Premier League, following Tom Eaves' move
to Bolton earlier this month.
No interest in Mascherano or Babel
Roy Hodgson has reiterated his hope that Javier Mascherano
will stay at Liverpool after confirming the midfielder will
miss the Europa League tie against Trabzonspor. The Anfield
boss also insists Ryan Babel has a future at the club
despite rumours he's a target for Wolfsburg.
Mascherano is looking to quit Liverpool for personal reasons
but the club have yet to receive a suitable offer for the
Argentina captain. There had been suggestions that
Mascherano could be left out of Thursday's European
encounter against Trabzonspor to ensure he was not cup-tied
ahead of any potential transfer.
Hodgson admits the 26-year-old will miss the game, but only
because he picked up an injury during the 1-1 draw with
Arsenal which has also left Mascherano doubtful for next
Monday's Premier League game against Manchester City.
"Javier will always be in my plans until the day comes when
he leaves the club and for me that will be a long time in
the future if I can get my wish," said Hodgson. "But he's
injured at the moment and won't play tomorrow. He came off
after about 80 minutes on Sunday with a slight pull in his
calf muscles and has only just started to jog today.
"The worry for us is that he won't be fit for Monday."
Hodgson also revealed Daniel Agger will not face
Trabzonspor, saying: "Daniel got concussed so he's not doing
that well. We're three days after the incident and he's
still suffering from concussion and has got no memory of the
"We can only hope that it settles down in time for Monday's
match with Manchester City. There was never any question
he'd be fit for tomorrow."
The injury to Mascherano could lead to Christian Poulsen
making his Liverpool debut, although Hodgson admits the
Denmark international is not fully fit.
(The Irish Times)
Liverpool reserves beat a Celtic XI yesterday.
The reserves hammered the Celtic XI 4-1 at the Academy in
front of Roy Hodgson, who will have been impressed with the
performance. Tom Ince, Jesus 'Suso' Fernandez, Victor
Palsson and Alex Kacaniklic scored the Reds' goals.
Skrtel signs new Anfield deal
Martin Skrtel today celebrated signing a two-year extension
to his Anfield contract and insisted: "We are good enough to
The Reds' Slovakian defender had two years remaining on his
current deal, but has now put pen to paper on a new
agreement which will keep him on Merseyside until at least
"I'm very pleased," he told Liverpoolfc.tv. "I have been at
Liverpool for nearly three years and I really like it here.
I like the city, I like the club and I like the fans so I'm
happy I am able to sign a new contract.
"Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world so I am
proud I can play here for four more years."
Signed for a bargain £6 million in January 2008, Skrtel has
established himself as a regular in the Liverpool side, with
his no-nonsense style of defending endearing him to the
(LFC Official Website)
Kuyt: Liverpool ready
to attack Trabzonspor
Dirk Kuyt says Liverpool are up for a big performance
against Europa League opponents Trabzonspor tomorrow night.
The Dutch forward reckons it is important for Liverpool to
get off to a positive start against the Bordo-Mavililer and
points to the Reds' previous encounters on Turkish soil as a
warning of what they could face in the second-leg.
"I'm sure the manager will tell us all about them in the
next few days - we know they are a good team," Kuyt told
"You always have to be ready and get your results in early
in the season. We want to stay in the Europa League so we
need a good result on Thursday. We know from our games
against Galatasaray and Besiktas that it can be difficult in
Turkey, so we need a good result in the first-leg."
He added: "We were really close to winning it last season.
We are all here to win trophies and if we could win it, then
it would be a massive trophy for all the lads."
Reds rout Celtic in front of Roy
Roy Hodgson was an interested spectator as Liverpool
Reserves secured a 4-1 friendly success over Celtic on
The Reds boss took time out his pre-Trabzonspor preparations
to cast his eye over the second-string, and he would have
been more than impressed, as they ran out comfortable
winners courtesy of goals from Tom Ince, Suso, Victor
Palsson and Alex Kacaniklic.
Liverpool Reserves: Gulacsi, Darby, Robinson (Mendy 61),
Wisdom, Mavinga (Flanagan 46),Roberts (Palsson 46), Irwin
(Cooper 61), Ince,
Saric (Dalla Valle 46), Suso, Amoo (Kacaniklic 46).
(LFC Official Website)
Hodgson: Cole arrival helps Gerrard
Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson believes the arrival of Joe
Cole at Anfield will help to get the best out of talismanic
captain Steven Gerrard.
England international Cole moved to Anfield on a free
transfer this summer after being released by Chelsea at the
end of the season, although he was sent off on his debut
against Arsenal on Sunday.
Gerrard played in a deeper midfield position against the
Gunners at the weekend and Hodgson says Cole's role means
the Reds talisman will be able to play in his best position.
"I don't think Steven has to adjust his game at all. I think
he's more than happy to play in the position he played in,"
Hodgson told the club's official website.
"He's possibly happier and more influential in that position
than when he plays as the one behind a striker or in an
offensive midfield role.
"I think Joe's arrival at the club will help Steven to play
in a position where I think we get the best out of him."
Last season Gerrard scored nine goals in 33 Premier League
appearances for Liverpool, playing as a second striker and
Carra motivated by critics
Defender Jamie Carragher admits he was spurred on by media
critics during Liverpool's opener with Arsenal.
Carragher was labelled as past his best by a TV pundit ahead
of Sunday's Premier League opener after suffering a dip in
form last season.
But the Reds stalwart responded in spectacular fashion with
a defensive masterclass in the second half of the Anfield
encounter, a performance that was marred by Jose Reina's
howler to gift a draw to the Gunners late on.
And the 32-year-old admits he was fired up for the
curtain-raiser following newspaper comments about his
"I read Gary Lineker on Sunday morning saying my legs had
gone, so I wasn't in the best of moods before the game and I
was more determined to play better than I normally am,"
Carragher, whose fundraising testimonial takes place at
Anfield on 4th September, told the club's official website.
Great to see spirit
return to Liverpool FC
The spirit’s back. After the disappointment of conceding a
late equaliser against Arsenal on Sunday, the main thing
that struck me was the mood inside Anfield – from the pitch
to the stands.
It got lower than low towards the end of last season. The
manager and players looked tired. It needed a shake-up and
now we’re seeing positive early signs.
On Sunday you could see the players communicating and
on the pitch.
That rarely happened under Rafa Benitez. They were like
soldiers out there, following strict instructions. It was
often too regimented.
Against Arsenal, it was different. There was more freedom.
Steven Gerrard was always talking, barking orders. It was
good to see.
(John Aldridge - Liverpool Echo)
Cesena in Cavalieri
loan talks with Liverpool
Cesena have made a move for Liverpool goalkeeper Diego
Gazzetta dello Sport says Serie A new boys Cesena are keen
to take Cavalieri on a season long loan with the view to a
permanent £1.5 million deal.
Cavalieri could become available at Liverpool following the
arrival of Brad Jones from Middlesbrough.
Good times will arrive at Liverpool
- and hopefully a new striker too
David Ngog has clearly had something of a new lease of life
under Roy Hodgson. He’s scored four goals in three games and
his finish against Arsenal is clearly one of a striker in
But nothing he has done so far has changed my opinion that
Roy Hodgson needs to make a new striker his priority before
the transfer window shuts.
Although Ngog hit a great shot to open the scoring on
Sunday, in the first half he was way off the pace.
In the system Hodgson seems to favour, it’s asking too much
of him to lead the line on his own. He’s still got a lot to
learn in terms of movement
and positional play.
So the problem that bothered me for much of last season –
that when Fernando Torres is injured Liverpool don’t have
adequate cover to compensate for his absence – still
(Mark Lawrenson - Liverpool Daily Post)
Reds agree Jones fee
Liverpool have confirmed a £2.3m fee has been agreed with
Middlesbrough for the transfer of Australian international
goalkeeper Brad Jones.
The 28-year-old stopper passed a medical on Monday afternoon
and has agreed personal terms. He is expected to complete
the paperwork on a three-year contract on Tuesday.
(LFC Official Website)
Gerrard: Reds still buzzing
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard insists renewed confidence
at Anfield will not be damaged by Arsenal's fortuitous
last-gasp equaliser in their Barclays Premier League opener.
It was a deflating blow, but after a positive summer
following the appointment of Roy Hodgson as manager, Gerrard
says it will take a lot more to damage revitalised spirits.
"My family are Liverpool fans, we are surrounded by them day
in and day out," said Gerrard, who also helped lift the club
after last season's disappointing seventh-placed finish by
pledging his future.
"Of course I can feel the optimism, and rightly so. We have
got a good manager, we have kept hold of some top players
and we have already got some
top players here.
"If we can keep everyone fit I am very confident we can have
a completely different season to last year. The boys are
enjoying training and working
"There is a real buzz about the place and if we had got
three points it would have been a magnificent start."
(Press Association Sport)
Jones set for Anfield medical
Brad Jones is due to complete his move to Liverpool on
Monday, skysports.com can confirm.
The Reds have been locked in talks with Middlesbrough for a
couple of weeks over the Australia international, who Roy
Hodgson wants as his new No.2.
Jones, who is also classed as a home-grown player under new
Premier League rules, is now on his way to Liverpool's
training HQ at Melwood to complete
It is understood personal terms have already been agreed and
he will pen a three-year contract upon completion of his
Skysports.com revealed last week the two clubs had agreed a
fee, but an issue remained over how the sum - believed to be
around £2.5million - would be paid.
The two clubs have now succesfully concluded talks over the
instalments and Jones is set to complete his move in the
Reds won't contest
three-match Cole ban
Joe Cole's red card on his home debut for Liverpool will
stand after the club did not appeal before Monday
The Football Association confirmed the Reds had not
contested Cole's controversial dismissal against Arsenal by
1pm on Monday, meaning the 28-year-old will serve a
Ngog: I want to stay at Anfield
and score more goals for Liverpool
Liverpool striker David Ngog has insisted that he sees his
future at Anfield after netting in the Reds' opening Premier
League fixture against Arsenal.
Ngog opened the scoring in the second half against the
Gunners, and his strike looked to have won the game for Roy
Hodgson's men until a late blunder from goalkeeper Pepe
Reina allowed the Londoners to equalise.
"I am happy at Liverpool. I am focused on the club and I'm
trying to do my best for Liverpool," Ngog told his club's
"I am a striker and I want to score a lot of goals for
Liverpool. I work hard for this and so it's good when it
Wenger: LFC will challenge
Arsene Wenger has backed Liverpool to be among those
the title this season.
The Arsenal boss watched from the touchline as his charges
laboured to earn a point against a Reds side who played with
10 men for the entire second half following Joe Cole's
Wenger said: "I believe Liverpool will be a contender for
the top places. They defended very well and are an
intelligent team. It could be interesting."
(LFC Official Website)
PSV Eindhoven’s Toivonen
becomes Liverpool target
PSV Eindhoven attacker Ola Toivonen has emerged as a target
for Liverpool according to reports.
The 24-year old Swede is being linked with a £5million
Anfield move after Roy Hodgson watched him for his national
team against Scotland last week.