Red News


NOVEMBER           2010
10 11 12


Reina: I'm fully committed
Pepe Reina today dismissed media reports claiming he has told Roy Hodgson he wants to leave Liverpool.
The Spain international exclusively told "I have seen a newspaper has made this suggestion. It is completely untrue.
"I have not told the manager that I wish to leave in January, or at any other time. It is important our fans know this.
"I have a long-term contract at Liverpool and I am fully committed to the club.
"Our new owner met me and some of the other players last week and I was very happy with what he told me."
Reina, who has played in 18 of the Reds' 21 games this season, added: "The entire squad and staff are working very hard to get us back competing at the top of the table. We will not be distracted by inaccurate media speculation."
(LFC Official Website)

Star trio back in Spain squad
Fernando Torres, Xavi and Cesc Fabregas have returned to the Spain squad for next week's friendly with Portugal in Lisbon.
Liverpool striker Torres, Barcelona midfielder Xavi and Arsenal captain Fabregas all missed last month's Euro 2012 qualifiers against Lithuania and Scotland through injury.
Barcelona forward Pedro has also come back into the 23-man squad after missing the qualification double-header.
But there was no place for Valencia duo Aritz Aduriz and Pablo Hernandez or Villarreal pair Borja Valero and Bruno Soriano.
Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina and Manchester City's David Silva were the other two foreign-based players included.

Cole fit again
Joe Cole has recovered from his hamstring injury.
Cole has missed Liverpool's last three games after picking up a hamstring injury during the 1-0 win over Bolton on October 31st. However, the midfielder has now recovered and is available for selection for tomorrow's visit to Stoke.
(LFC Online)

Kelly gets England call
Martin Kelly has been named in the England under 21's squad for their upcoming friendly with Germany.
Kelly, who scored on his England under 21's debut, has been named in Stuart Pearce's squad for Tuesday's friendly.
(LFC Online)
Roy relying on key Reds duo
Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson accepts he will have to rely heavily on Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard to bring success back to the club.
The pair would be the key players in any team but with a lack of depth being compounded by a number of injuries their roles have become even
more important.
That is highlighted by the fact that, apart from David Ngog's strike against Arsenal on the opening weekend of the season, all Liverpool's league goals have either been created or scored by those two.
"If we are going to do well this season we need those two firing on all cylinders, we need Torres' goals and Gerrard's manipulation and control of the midfield."

Milan will not seek exit
Milan Jovanovic says he will resist the temptation of a return to Belgium and remain at Liverpool.
The Serbian striker was lured to Anfield on a free transfer by Rafael Benitez. He had peaked the interest of many other clubs but currently finds himself on the margins of Roy Hodgson's plans.
A huge favourite at Standard Liege and a former Juliper League Play of the Year Jovanovic has emerged as a target for Anderlecht.
Though flattered about interest from a club he admires Jovanovic has vowed to prove his worth with the Reds.
"Since I moved to England I've done everything regarding my job the way the coach wants from me," the 29-year old said.
"I was really focused on not making many tactical mistakes.
"I've not done things my way. I didn't do things my way, I didn't take risks with my moves and actions.
"I'm just thinking about Liverpool. I'll stay here because I'm no quitter or a person who doesn't fight. I know, that Anderlecht rate me very highly and I'm proud
about that.
"Anderlecht are the biggest club in Belgium and I respect them, but I have a contract with Liverpool and I'll stay."
(Shankly Gates)

Wilson called up for Scotland
Danny Wilson has been called up by Scotland for the first time, ahead of Tuesday's international friendly against the Faroe Islands.
Liverpool's No.22 becomes the first Red since Kop legend Steve Nicol in September 1991 to be called up by the Tartan Army.
The former Rangers starlet has been a regular in the Scotland U21 squad and he has now received his first call-up to the senior squad from Craig Levein.
The match takes place at Pittodrie, Aberdeen FC.
(LFC Official Website)

Poulsen finding his feet

Christian Poulsen says he is adapting to life in the Premier League as Liverpool look to climb the table.
The Danish midfielder, who arrived at Anfield from Juventus in the summer, appeared as a late substitute during the Reds' 1-1 league draw at Wigan on Wednesday evening.
Poulsen was pleased to get a run-out against the Latics, and has vowed to improve as he begins to get to grips with the pace of the English top flight.
"It was good for me to play the last 20-25 minutes and I wanted to show my best for the team," Poulsen told Liverpool's official website.
"There have been many changes at Liverpool and I have come in this season as a new player.
"We have a new manager and new owners. I am trying to learn as quickly as possible to adapt to the league."
(Sky Sports)

Kerzhakov claims Reds interest
Russia striker Aleksandr Kerzhakov claims Liverpool have expressed an interest in signing him.
Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson has made striking reinforcements one of his top priorities in the January transfer window and Zenit St Petersburg star Kerzhakov is thought to be on his list of targets
Kerzhakov has enjoyed a fine season with Zenit and the 27-year-old admits he is happy to stay at the Russian club despite interest from Liverpool.
"The talk about Liverpool is not baseless," Kerzhakov told Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
"The British club came to my agent with a proposal but I did not give an answer.
"I have other things to think about and in all respects I am happy in Russia,
"My team is in first place in the national championship and I have always said that I wanted to play for Zenit.
"In the case of Liverpool I will take no initiative, but I can count the fingers on one hand for the amount of clubs I could theoretically go to.
"This is because Zenit is playing beautiful, modern football and the club is growing rapidly. And I am here, at home."
(Sky Sports)

Gerrard takes blame for
Liverpool FC’s draw with Wigan

Steven Gerrard today held his hands up for the role he played in costing Liverpool victory at Wigan last night – then vowed to put the record straight at Stoke.
Liverpool’s captain was one of his side’s better performers in the 1-1 draw at the DW Stadium but he cut a frustrated figure as he headed for home.
“Maybe our performance suffered after the energy and intensity we put into beating Chelsea. You can often find that happening after you play a game 72 hours after a big fixture.
“It’s going to be tough at Stoke but we will have to stand up and fight, stick together and if we get a win, that would be a superb result. We will be ready for it.”
(Liverpool Echo)
Martinez lauds Wigan spirit
Roberto Martinez hailed the character of his Wigan Athletic players as they held Liverpool on Wednesday.
Although Steven Gerrard came the closest to scoring late on as his rattled the crossbar, it was Martinez's Latics who bossed the majority of the match and were unfortunate not to run out victors at the DW Stadium.
"You look at the performance and you feel we dropped two points," Martinez told Sky Sports HD.
"Sometimes you need that luck and at the moment we are not getting any of that.
"But after a performance like tonight it's just a matter of time before things
come together."
(Sky Sports)

Hodgson's Wigan verdict
Roy Hodgson felt his side paid the price for their recent exertions as they produced what he described as a 'tired' performance in the 1-1 draw at Wigan.
The Reds had looked set to extend their winning run to five matches when Fernando Torres fired home a brilliant opener on six minutes.
However, the home side recovered to level through Hugo Rodallega, leaving the boss frustrated by his team's second-half showing.
"We didn't deserve to win the game," he told his post-match press conference.
(LFC Official Website)

Reds' winning run ends
with disappointing draw

Liverpool’s four-match winning run was halted by a lively Wigan at the DW Stadium as Roy Hodgson’s side faded badly after taking an early lead.
Despite being given an early advantage by Fernando Torres’ third goal in four days, the visitors lost their grip on the game midway through the first half and never regained it.
Wigan equalised through Hugo Rodallega in the 52nd minute and finished the better side as the Merseysiders appeared to feel the exertions of beating Barclays Premier League leaders Chelsea on Sunday.
That will be a concern to manager Hodgson, who has complained about the depth of quality in his squad, with a trip to Stoke next up on Saturday.
The draw meant Liverpool missed the chance to move into the top five - a scenario which seemed a distant prospect just a few weeks ago with the Reds mired in the relegation zone until they put together three league wins to add to a victory in Europe.
(Liverpool Echo)

Reds unchanged
for trip to Wigan

Liverpool travel the short distance to Wigan tonight for another game that is a must-win. Roy Hodgson has stuck with the same starting eleven that brought Liverpool that important, confidence-building and well-deserved 2-0 win against Chelsea on Sunday.
That means Kelly retains his place at right-back following on from his impressive performance on Sunday, with many people’s man-of-the-match Lucas Leiva given another chance to impress in central midfield.
A lack of one single recognised defender on the bench suggests that Hodgson was limited in terms of what changes he could make, but all eleven starters from Sunday deserved a chance to play tonight.
Liverpool: Reina, Kelly, Carragher, Skrtel, Konchesky, Meireles, Lucas, Gerrard, Maxi, Kuyt, Torres
Subs: Hansen, Jovanovic, Ngog, Spearing, Poulsen, Shelvey, Eccleston.

Reds looking for
new chief executive

Liverpool owners New England Sports Ventures have appointed headhunters Spencer Stuart to begin a search for the club's new chief executive.
Previous incumbent Christian Purslow stepped down last month, having played a key role in the sale of the club to the Americans, although he was retained by NESV in an advisory capacity.
The global executive search firm, who were responsible for recruiting Richard Scudamore as chief executive to the Premier League and Ivan Gazidis to a similar role at Arsenal, will begin their task immediately.
Their brief is to find "business leaders with an interest in, and experience of, football" according to a statement from NESV.
Principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner will be responsible for appointing Liverpool's new CEO, which they hope will be early in the new year.

Inter Milan push on with deal
for Liverpool crock Agger

Inter Milan boss Rafa Benitez is ready to push on with plans to sign Liverpool defender Dan Agger as a replacement for Walter Samuel.
Danish international Agger is top of his wish list. The pair worked together during Benitez’s time at Anfield, says the Mirror.

Kelly hopes to keep place
Martin Kelly is hoping to keep his first team place for tonight's game.
Kelly was a late inclusion in the team to face Chelsea on Sunday after Sotirios Kyrgiakos and Glen Johnson both withdrew. However, the defender impressed on his full league debut and is now hoping to face Wigan this evening.
"I really enjoyed that on Sunday and I just hope I did enough to get another chance against Wigan," said our number 34.
"You are only as good as your last game so if I do end up playing against Wigan then I've got to show the boss what I can do again in that position.
"It would mean a lot to play because that was my ambition as a young boy to get a chance and then do enough to keep my place.
"It's good to put pressure on the more senior players and challenge Glen Johnson for the right-back position. We all know how good Glen is and he is also the England right-back, so I know the size of the task I have got."
(LFC Online)

backbutton.gif (1697 bytes)

Thor Zakariassen ©