After The Match 


BLACKBURN-LIVERPOOL 3-4 (1-1)     Wed Oct 29     Carling Cup - 3. round
Goals: Murphy (41 pen), Heskey (50), Heskey (62), Kewell (79)
Yorke (35, 94), Ferguson (81)
Team: Kirkland, Biscan, Hyypia, Henchoz, Traore, Murphy, Gerrard,
Le Tallec, Diouf, Sinama-Pongolle, Heskey
Subs: Riise (Hyypia 46), Kewell (Pongolle 46), Hamann (Gerrard 82)
Not used: Dudek, Finnan
Yellow: None
Red: Neill (40)
Referee: Mike Riley
Attendance: 16,918

                                                              FIXTURES & RESULTS
On target: 4-8
Off target: 10-9
Fouls: 12-15
Corne:rs 5-1
Yellow: 0-0
Red: 1-0





"I was sure the players would shown common sense and play
good football
and they did."

                  Gerard Houllier

3010: Heskey earns Houllier praise
2910: Heskey sinks Blackburn



Heskey earns Houllier praise


Gerard Houllier called it "ironic fate" as Lucas Neill and Blackburn suffered a bad case of deja vu against Liverpool at Ewood Park.

Neill was sent off as Liverpool triumphed 4-3 in the Carling Cup third round - making his first start since a three-game ban for breaking Jamie Carragher's leg in the Premiership fixture between the clubs last month.

There was no sign of the bad blood that has existed between Houllier and Graeme Souness as a result of the Carragher injury in the previous match, but the outcome was just the same.

Liverpool now face another Lancastrian test against Bolton in the next round but

Houllier was jubilant about his side's display, not least two goals from Emile Heskey.

Houllier said: "I want to underline the quality and spirit of the game - I was sure the players would shown common sense and play good football and they did.

"We played well and got a good result and could have scored more but we have to give credit to the fact that Blackburn wanted to give a good account of themselves.

"We could have been more clinical but it was a youthful side and they wanted to score a fifth goal, which isn't a bad thing but they got a bit carried away."

Houllier said Heskey deserved the match ball, adding: "He scored two and could have scored two more. I told him afterwards I was pleased he missed some chances because that meant he was getting into the positions and that happens to every striker."

As for the incident which led to Neill's departure from tripping Florent Sinama-Pongolle in the box, the Liverpool boss added: "He was the last defender, I don't think the referee had an option. It was ironic fate I would say."

Heskey sinks Blackburn

BBC Sport Online

Emile Heskey scored twice as Liverpool extended Blackburn's miserable run of form with a comfortable win in the Carling Cup.

The Reds striker should have completed his hat-trick but failed to convert his team's second penalty of the game.

The first spot kick had been converted by Danny Murphy after Lucas Neill had been sent off against Liverpool for the second time this season.

Blackburn had taken the lead through Dwight Yorke but Liverpool took advantage of their numerical advantage to cement their place in the fourth round.

Harry Kewell scored a fourth for Liverpool before Barry Ferguson and Yorke redcuded the deficit.

In a game of many chances, the scoreline could have been much higher but for some abysmal finishing.

David Thompson almost opened the scoring with a powerful long-range drive that drifted narrowly wide while Ferguson went even closer, shaving the top of the Liverpool crossbar with a neat free-kick.

Blackburn eventually broke the deadlock after 35 minutes.

Yorke, back in the Blackburn starting line-up, superbly heading home a Thompson cross from the right after the Rovers winger had easily eluded Sami Hyppia.

Liverpool equalised shortly afterwards with a clinical penalty from Murphy.

The spot-kick had been awarded after Lucas Neill clipped Florence Sinama-Pongelle's back leg with the Reds striker through on goal and poised to shoot.

Referee Mike Riley wasted no time in sending Neill from the field for a professional foul.

The match was Neill's first after completing a three-match suspension for his challenge that broke Jamie Carragher's leg the last time Liverpool met Blackburn.

Heskey should have put Liverpool in the lead shortly after half-time but, clean through on goal, lost his composure and blazed wide of the target.

But minutes later, he atoned for his miss with a superb header, guiding El Hadji Diouf's cross past Brad Friedel.

Heskey almost scored again after 54 minutes, but the striker shot over after latching onto a low cross at the near post.

Kewell spurned an excellent chance to put the visitors further ahead after 60 minutes but drilled the ball wide of the target when clean through.

But the miss did not prove costly, with Heskey once again converting a Diouf cross shortly afterwards.

Blackburn had opportunities to force their way back into the game, with Andy Cole guilty of a glaring miss.

The Reds should have then sealed their win when they were awarded a second penalty after Vratislav Gresko was adjudged to have fouled Kewell.

But Heskey spurned the chance to complete his hat-trick with a weak penalty the Friedel easily saved.

Heskey missed another great chance before Kewell scored Liverpool's fourth, converting another Diouf cross.

Ferguson scored with 10 minutes left, his first goal for Blackburn to give the home team a glimmer of hope.

Yorke found the net again to give the scoreline a respectable look, but the goal came with virtually the final kick.

backbutton.gif (1697 bytes)

Thor Zakariassen