After The Match 


CHARLTON-LIVERPOOL 3-2 (2-1)      Sunday Sep 28        Premier League
Goals: Smicer (15), Owen (51 pen)   Lisbie (30, 42, 83)
Team: Dudek, Finnan, Biscan, Hyypia, Riise, Diouf, Gerrard, Smicer, Kewell, Owen, Heskey
Subs: Murphy (Smicer 67)
Not used: Luzi, Traore, Diao, Le Tallec
Yellow: Diouf (78)   Young (43), Kishishev (91)
Red: None
Referee: Rob Styles

                                                             FIXTURES & RESULTS
On target: 5-9
Off target: 9-8
Fouls: 11-9
Corne:rs 7-5
Yellow: 2-1
Red: 0-0





"It's just a shame that we didn't keep at least a draw."
                 Gerard Houllier

2809: Houllier disappointed with defeat
2809: Lisbie treble stuns Liverpool


Houllier disappointed with defeat

By Gary Purvis - LFC Online

Gerard Houllier was unhappy with Liverpool's defeat at Charlton and believes they were unfortunate not to have claimed the three points.

"It's beyond me really because we scored a goal and were in control of the game and made silly mistakes," he said after the game. "We've just got to blame ourselves because we let ourselves down today.

"We played well in the second half and created a lot of chances. It's just a shame that we didn't keep at least a draw

"We score together and we defend together, because we have a style that puts us forward more than on the backfoot so we defend as a team. When we lose possession somebody doesn't do their job and that's when we're in trouble.

"I wouldn't blame one in particular. As a team we could have played better in terms of defending and we'll draw the lesson from that.

"We owe ourselves and the fans a better result. At times we played well and created lots of chances, even after their third goal we had a good chance and hit the post.

"We were a bit unlucky in the finish in the second half. It was a great game of football, but you've got to give credit to them. They believed right to the end that they could do it.

"The boys know they have to respond to what happened today. They played some good football at times but it's just a shame that we couldn't score the third goal before they scored theirs.

"We were unfortunate not to get the three points today."

Lisbie treble stuns Liverpool

BBC Sport Online

Kevin Lisbie struck a stunning hat-trick to give Charlton Athletic a dramatic victory against Liverpool at The Valley.

Lisbie crowned a brilliant performance with a spectacular late winner to condemn Gerard Houllier's side to a damaging defeat.

Vladimir Smicer gave Liverpool an early lead - but Lisbie struck twice before the interval to put Charlton in front.

Michael Owen put Liverpool level from the spot after 51 minutes, but Lisbie had the last word by running fully 60 yards to settle an eventful encounter with eight minutes left.

It was a bitter blow to Liverpool and boss Gerard Houllier, who paid the price for shoddy defending and complacency after going ahead.

Liverpool opened fluently and earned an early reward when Smicer gave them the lead in the 14th minute.

Harry Kewell was the creator with a brilliant through ball to release the Czech, who calmly lifted a finish over the advancing Dean Kiely.

But for all Liverpool's possession, Charlton were creating chances - most of which fell to Lisbie.

He had squandered a couple of opportunities before he took advantage of careless Liverpool defending to equalise after 31 minutes.

Liverpool captain Sami Hyypia gave the ball away to Graham Stuart and he found Lisbie, who put his troubles behind him to beat Jerzy Dudek.

And Charlton left Liverpool stunned four minutes before half-time - with goalkeeper Dudek clearly the culprit as The Addicks went ahead.

Dudek conceded an needless corner by fumbling the ball out of play, and he could then only palm Shaun Bartlett's shot into the path of Lisbie, who scored from eight yards.

Liverpool needed to strike quickly after the break and inevitably it was Owen who obliged.

Emile Heskey was manhandled in the area by Chris Perry and Owen sent Kiely the wrong way from the spot.

Liverpool scented renewed hope and Kiely saved brilliantly from Kewell's left foot drive from 20 yards.

Houllier made a switch after 66 minutes, replacing Smicer with Danny Murphy.

Liverpool had stepped up a gear and Kiely was called into action twice in quick succession to save from Heskey and Murphy.

But Charlton struck back to take the lead with eight minutes left - and once it was that man Lisbie who was on target.

It was a stunning solo effort from Lisbie, who ran from his own half almost unchallenged to beat Dudek from 20 yards and seal the win.

backbutton.gif (1697 bytes)

Thor Zakariassen