After The Match 


Millwall-Liverpool 0-3 (0-1)              Tue Oct 26.        Carling Cup-3.round
Goals: Diao (18), Baros (70, 90)
Team: Dudek, Josemi, Henchoz, Whitbread, Traore, Potter, Diao, Biscan, Warnock, Pongolle, Mellor
Subs: Baros (Pongolle 52), Finnan (Mellor 65), Riise (Warnock 81)
Not used: Kirkland, Carragher
Yellow: Diao (35), Mellor (51), Baros (80)
Serioux (41), Muscat (80)
Red: None
Referee: Alan Wiley
Attendance: 17,655

                                                             FIXTURES & RESULTS 
Shots on target: 3-7
Shots off target: 2-3
Fouls conceded: 13-15
Corners: 2-4
Yellow: 2-3





"I think we
all played
very well."

                   Jerzy Dudek

2710: Potter keen on Premiership start
2610: Cup clash marred by crowd trouble
2610: Baros hopes scoring touch is back
2610: Rafa delighted with his players
2610: Reds in a comfortable cup win

Potter keen on Premiership start

By Chris Bascombe - Liverpool Echo

Liverpool teenager Darren Potter now has his sights set on a Premiership debut, following his stylish performance in last night's 3-0 Carling Cup win at Millwall.

Potter's man-of-the-match display was one of many Red highlights as Stephen Warnock, Zak Whitbread and Neil Mellor played their part on a proud night for the Anfield Academy.

Salif Diao and a Milan Baros double sealed the Reds' place in the next round.

Midfielder Potter played in the Champions League qualifier earlier in the season against AK Graz, but after excelling at The New Den, he's hoping he has given manager Rafa Benitez an enjoyable selection dilemma.

"I think it was a bit easier last night than it was when I made my debut," admitted the 19-year-old.

"It's always hard on your debut but once you've got a game or two under your belt you can settle far more and show what you can do.

"I'd like to think I've given the boss something to think about for the next game. I'm only young and I know I've got time on my side but I felt I played okay.

"If the manager sees me as a right midfielder and gives me a chance during any stage of the season I'll be delighted to get a shirt. We've a few injuries to right midfielders at the moment so if he sees me as someone who can play there, I'd be happy to do so.

"The gaffer has been very encouraging to me, especially giving me a debut so soon after he arrived.

"Obviously I haven't had a look-in since then, but I don't think that was anything to do with the way I played, it was understandable he wanted to pick his most experienced players.

"Now he's put me back in I just want to give him something to think about for the next game.

"The boss has told us this cup is for the younger lads so we're all made up we've taken our chance and got through.

"We never let Millwall get at us at all, which we knew they'd try to do early in the game. We reversed it and took the game to them and it worked."

Potter has had to be patient since leaving the Academy, but he's sure more graduates will get an opportunity under Benitez.

He added: "The gaffer's approach is great for us. He's giving the young lads a go which is what it's all about at Liverpool.

"I thought we all did well last night. I know Neil Mellor will be disappointed he was taken off but he worked really hard. Zak Whitbread was very comfortable at the back and Steve Warnock has done well whenever he's been involved.

"The main aim is obviously to get a Premier-ship start, but we know this competition is for us. The further we go, the more he's going to use us. It's up to us to go as far as possible."

Cup clash marred by crowd trouble

Four supporters were arrested after crowd trouble flared during the second half at tonight’s Carling Cup tie between Liverpool and Millwall at The New Den.

Away fans alleged the violence was sparked by chants relating to the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.

Two supporters from either side were arrested and 68 seats were ripped up. Seats were also thrown from the upper tier of the stand containing Liverpool supporters, while fans in the lower tier of the away end rushed towards their Millwall counterparts and riot police were required to quell the damage.

A disabled fan was injured at the perimeter of the pitch as supporters in the Liverpool end poured forward, while three supporters from the Liverpool section and one from the Millwall section were ejected.

Former Liverpool skipper Phil Neal works as a charity co-ordinator for the families involved in the Hillsborough tragedy and was at the game as a co-commentator for Merseyside radio station Radio City.

He said: “I just want to forget about the bad experiences. I came here and I just wanted to watch a game between Millwall and Liverpool under normal circumstances.

“If it was chants about Hillsborough that started the violence, then it was totally unnecessary.

“That was 15 years ago and the Heysel Stadium disaster was 19 years ago. Seeing what happened tonight made me rather subdued, and I had to apologise to my listeners because I did not say anything for about 20 minutes.”

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said he had seen “something” of the violence and added: “In the stadium you want to see only good football.”

Baros hopes scoring touch is back

Sporting Life

Liverpool striker Milan Baros hopes his two goals in the 3-0 Carling Cup third-round win at Millwall will give him the confidence to score against better opposition.

The Reds - with 10 changes from Saturday's victory over Charlton - were leading 1-0 through Salif Diao's 18th-minute strike when the Czech Republic forward was introduced for the injured Florent Sinama-Pongolle in the 50th minute.

He wrapped up victory in an bad-tempered match with goals in the 70th and 90th minutes.

"In the second half we had more space up front. I am happy with the goals and hopefully they will continue in the league and Champions League," said Baros.

"I created a few chances at the weekend and missed them so for the confidence, especially for a striker, it is important to score the goals.

"The young players had a chance to show how good they are and they played well today."

Goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek was rarely troubled by a limited Millwall side but he too praised the younger players who contributed.

"I think we all played very well. I think we all have to be satisfied with the performance," he told Sky Sports.

"The coach rested a few players and the youngsters has a chance to show themselves.

"It was important to score the early goal, it was important to keep cool because when you come down to Millwall you expect a bit of fun on the pitch in 90 minutes."

Rafa delighted with his players

Sporting Life

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez refused to comment on Millwall's strong-arm tactics which saw heavy challenges flying in all over the pitch.

"I don't want to talk about these kind of things. It think it is better for me to say nothing," he said, preferring to focus on the positives from the performance.

"I am delighted with the players because they fought and they played well and it was difficult, and if you score three goals and win it is fantastic for the players.

"We kept the ball for a long time and that is important for the control of the game. We kept our concentration during the game and that was important for the younger players."

However, Benitez would not reveal whether he would continue to play a reserve side in the competition as Liverpool's fixture list gets more crowded.

All he would say was: "If they don't play many games during the season or in the Premier it is important to play in the cup."

Reds in a comfortable cup win

BBC Sport Online

A second-string Liverpool side eased their way into the Carling Cup fourth round after a fiesty cup tie.

Having survived an early bout of Millwall pressure, Liverpool took the lead through Salif Diao's stabbed shot.

Millwall had their chances, notably Neil Harris, while late on Darren Ward hit the bar with a flicked header.

But after Graham Stack spilled Milan Baros' pass to Darren Potter, the Czech forward pounced and late on he bagged a second with another drilled effort.

Millwall gave Liverpool some uncomfortable moments, troubling Rafael Benitez's side with some slick movement.

Adrian Serioux's long throws also caused Jerzy Dudek some difficulty.

At times the tie threatened to boil as Djimi Traore squared up to Marvin Elliott and Neil Mellor lashed out at Kevin Muscat after the Australian's late challenge on the Liverpool striker.

Benitez was also incensed by Alan Dunne's high tackle on Milan Baros, while on 79 minutes Muscat and Baros were yellow-carded after a brief confrontation.

Benitez had made 10 changes to the side that beat Charlton at the weekend, with only Traore remaining in from Saturday's team.

As the Liverpool side got to know one another Harris almost gave Millwall the lead as he ran clear.

Having timed his run to perfection, Harris' first touch was far from perfect allowing Dudek to rush out and smother the ball.

Serioux's ability to propel the ball a huge distance from one of his throw-ins also unsettled Dudek, who surrounded by a pack of players, struggled to punch clear.

Having survived those two scares, Liverpool began to exert pressure on Millwall's defence.

First Florent Sinama-Pongolle broke free, slipping a pass to Neil Mellor, whose shot was smothered by Kevin Muscat.

Igor Biscan also tried his luck with a shot and a header.

On 18 minutes the Millwall defence buckled, when from Potter's corner, Ward was unable to head the ball clear, allowing Diao to volley home with a precise finish.

Millwall redoubled their attacking efforts with Serioux's throws continuing to trouble the Liverpool defence, while Harris went close with a header after a corner.

But Liverpool were not content to sit back on their lead and Sinama-Pongolle's pace opened up the Millwall defence.

The young French striker laid the ball off to Mellor, who shot straight at Stack.

Immediately after the restart Sinama-Pongolle's pace allowed him to latch onto a Potter pass, though from a tight angle, the Frenchman hit the side-netting.

Sinama-Pongolle was injured in attempting his shot and soon after he was replaced by Baros.

On 52 minutes Harris spurned a third chance, as he shrugged off Zak Whitbread's challenge, only for Dudek to save with his legs.

Baros' goal on 70 minutes made the game safe for Liverpool.

The Czech striker's pass released Potter, who was beaten to the ball by Stack.

But the Millwall keeper was unable to gather the ball cleanly, allowing Stephen Warnock to find Baros, who swiftly shot low and hard into the corner.

In stoppage time Potter sent clear and Baros once more finished with a plomb.

backbutton.gif (1697 bytes)

Thor Zakariassen ©