After The Match



Fixtures & Results



 Pre-season friendly                   Thursday July 24              

Result: 1-3 (1-1)
Goals: Heskey (31), Smicer (46, 65)      Sattabout (45)
LFC Team:

1st half:
Carragher  Henchoz  Traore  Vignal
Diouf  Hamman  Cheyrou  Le Tallec
Owen  Heskey

Subs:  Luzi, Babbel, Riise, Hyypia, Biscan, Gerrard, Murphy, Smicer, Pongolle, Baros, Mellor,   Whitbread
Not used:
Sent off:


On target:
Off target:
Yellow cards:
Red cards:  


Houllier happy with Thai success

By Chris Maxwell - LFC Online

Gerard Houllier was happy with the passing and movement of his side in what turned out to be a marathon victory over Thailand.

The Reds eased to a 3-1 win over their Bangkok hosts thanks to Emile Heskey's first-half opener and a brace from resurgent Czech star Vladimir Smicer.

Despite having to play a 55 minute first-half due to a time-keeping error on the referee's part, Gerard Houllier announced himself satisfied with the performance of his side.

"I thought it was a good work out for the boys. You have to take into account that the boys have travelled a long way here. We also had a heavy training session 48 hours ago and we had a lighter one yesterday. I liked the movement and our passing was good and I like the fact that we created many chances again. Maybe the finishing wasn't as good as it should have been, but that will come."

The Frenchman's delight at the comfortable win was added to by the sparkling displays of his young compatriots, Anthony Le Tallec and Florent Sinama-Pongolle.

"I tried Florent wide right in the second-half because we had Baros and Mellor playing up front. Florent did much better when he was up front with Baros," Houllier revealed.

"Regarding Anthony Le Tallec, he did very well again. He showed his passing moves, he can be very creative and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet. I can tell you, both players look good for the future of Liverpool Football Club."

Vladi double seals Reds win

LFC Official Website

A brace of goals from Vladimir Smicer and a strike from Emile Heskey was enough to give Liverpool a 3-1 win in their friendly with the Thailand national team in Bangkok today.

In an entertaining match played in front of an ecstatic and passionate Thai crowd, Gerard Houllier's side showed flashes that they are working their way towards top form in time for the new season with a hard working performance which was rewarded by a well deserved victory.

The Liverpool boss once again repeated his pre-season experiment of fielding different teams in each half of the game and most of the players on duty did their hopes of making the starting line-up when Chelsea visit Anfield next month no harm at all.

The result at the Rajamangala Stadium was never going to be the most important factor for the Liverpool-mad Thais who crammed into the national stadium hours before kick off to get ready for an occasion they had been dreaming of ever since the Reds left this part of the world two years ago.

Just the sight of Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard within a hundred yards of them was enough to light up their faces and when the players lined up before kick-off to greet the local fans with a traditional "Thai bow" the noise levels inside the stadium went through the roof.

Owen captained the Liverpool team in a starting eleven which saw French starlet Anthony Le Tallec given his first chance to shine from the kick off.

In the surprisingly mild and wet Bangkok conditions, it was the home side which made the brighter start with Chris Kirkland the busier of the two goalkeepers in the opening minutes. After smartly collecting one left wing cross after a couple of minutes, Kirkland was again called into action shortly after when Kiatisuk fired a low shot goalwards.

Liverpool gradually got into their stride and created a number of clear openings - much to the delight of the local fans. Michael Owen - whose every touch was cheered as if it were a winning goal - curled one just over the bar after six minutes and he was then involved in an excellent move which gave Anthony Le Tallec a sight of goal, but the French youngster's curling effort was smartly tipped over by the Thai 'keeper.

As the game went from one end to the other it was Thailand who were next to attack, with dangerman Kiatisuk taking advantage of a rare error by Stephane Henchoz to stride forward towards goal. Thankfully, Kirkland was on hand to spare Henchoz's blushes by making a great save.

The home side were desperate to witness a Liverpool goal and Emile Heskey almost obliged after 25 minutes when he headed Michael Owen's cross just wide of the far post.

Bruno Cheyrou came even closer five minutes later with a vicious drive from outside the area which dipped just over the Thailand goal.

Liverpool finally broke the deadlock after 31 minutes when Emile Heskey slotted the ball home following good work by Didi Hamann. Heskey picked the ball up inside the area and confidently tucked the ball past Kittisak with a neat left footed finish.

It may only be a goal in a pre-season friendly, but Heskey's strike was his second in pre-season so far - possibly a sign there are better things to come from the England striker this season following a disappointing campaign last time around.

Thailand got themselves back onto level terms before the half time break when Somjet took advantage of a slip by Djimi Traore before striding forward and brilliantly lifting the ball over Chris Kirkland into the top corner of the net.

The referee then played a staggering ten minutes of stoppage time at the end of the opening period, despite the fact that neither physio was required to treat any player at any time during the first half.

Gerard Houllier changed his entire team at the start of the second period, and it took just 30 seconds for the new-look Reds to regain the lead.

Milan Baros powered forward down the right hand side and his cross was struck home by Vladimir Smicerwho was totally unmarked twelve yards from goal.

The Reds should have increased their lead again after an hour when Neil Mellor had one shot cleared off the line and then, seconds later, saw a glancing header miss the far post by inches.

The chances continued to arrive for the Reds with Baros shooting straight at the goalkeeper when clean through on the Thai goal, and Murphy blazing an effort over the bar when the ball fell kindly to him outside the area.

It came as no surprise when Liverpool added a third to their tally and again it was Vladimir Smicer who hit the back of the net for his second of the game. Riise created the chance with good play down the left and when his cross found Smicer inside the area the Czech star made no mistake with a low drive into the back of the goal.

Smicer's place in Liverpool's team this season would appear to be in jeopardy following the signing of Harry Kewell, but he certainly used this occasion well to serve notice that he's still around with an impressive second half display.

In truth Liverpool could have added a further five goals before the final whistle sounded, but three was more than enough to satisfy both manager Gerard Houllier's hopes for another promising work-out and the local fans' desire to see their heroes give them a performance to cherish.


Thor Zakariassen