After The Match 


Liverpool-Manchester C 2-1 (0-1)           Sat Aug 21.       Premier League
Goals: Baros (48), Gerrard (75)             Anelka (45)
Team: Dudek, Josemi, Hyypia, Carragher, Finnan, Hamann, Gerrard, Riise, Kewell, Cisse, Baros
Subs: Diao (Josemi 61), Warnock (Finnan 77), Biscan (Kewell 90)
Not used: Harrison, Pongolle
Yellow: Hamann      Thatcher, Bosvelt, Dunne
Red: Dunne
Referee: Graham Poll
Attendance: 42,831

                                                          FIXTURES & RESULTS    
Shots on target: 10-4
Shots off target: 5-3
Fouls conceded: 9-17
Corners: 8-3
Yellow: 1-3




"Mr Benitez is going
to have to learn
to sit down here."

              Kevin Keegan

2208: Gerrard happy with second half display
2108: Rafa happy with Reds display
2108: Keegan has double moan
2108: Reds came from behind - and won


Gerrard happy with second half display

By Steve Hunter - LFC Official Website

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard said he was happy with the second half performance of the Reds in the 2-1 win over Manchester City but agreed it was a disappointing first half display.

Gerrard said manager Rafael Benitez had a few words with the team at half time and it was a transformed Liverpool in the second half who could have won by a lot more goals.

Gerrard said: "It was the opposite to Tottenham last week and we played much better in the second half against City than the first. We were not happy with our first half performance and the manager had a few words at half time.

"We came out fighting in the second half and we were much better and played some good stuff. We showed great character and there is a lot of expectations at Liverpool.

"We would have like to have started better in the match but sometimes it takes you a while to get started but we deserved the three points."

Rafa happy with Reds display

By Steve Hunter - LFC Official Website

Rafael Benitez declared himself a happy man after seeing his team come from behind to deservedly beat Manchester City 2-1 in his first home game as Reds manager.

Benitez said the win was good for team confidence and was pleased to send the supporters home happy.

Benitez said: "It's very good to win at home and it's good because the supporters are very happy. The team played well especially in the second half and we could have scored a lot more goals.

"There was a Liverpool spirit about our performance and it was very important for our confidence. I said to the players at half time we can win this match and play well. This team has character.

"It is good that we have Baros, Cisse and Gerrard and we have a lot of possibilities going forward. More players can score goals and we cause defenders problems.

"I was pleased for Milan Baros to score his first goal and this will give him good confidence and I thought him and Cisse did well. Steven Gerrard is a very good player and has the freedom in this team to attack as well as defend."

Keegan has double moan

Sporting Life

Kevin Keegan was angry with referee Graham Poll and unhappy with Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez after Manchester City"s 2-1 defeat at Anfield.

The City chief wanted the Spanish coach to sit down in his dug-out rather than block his own view by standing in the technical area throughout the match.

City led early through Nicolas Anelka, but saw Milan Baros equalise, Steven Gerrard grab the lead before Blues centre-back Richard Dunne was sent off.

City claim there was an offside decision not given during the build-up to Liverpool's winner and that Dunne was unlucky to be dismissed for tangling with Djibril Cisse.

Keegan said: "I am not going too comment on the referee because there is no point. But when a referee calls his linesmen to the left-hand side of the tunnel and asks for the police to come around him at the end of the game it suggests he may feel he is going to be questioned by players and management. That says it all.

"Our lads came back from an offside position to be involved in the build-up to the goal and the referee didn't give it. Then the linesman, who wasn't up with play, decides that what Dunne did was a sending-off offence. That's why my lads were upset.

"Mr Benitez is going to have to learn to sit down here. It is a very small coaching area at Anfield and he was standing up all the game.

"Give him a few weeks to learn English properly but he is going to have to be told. He was standing in the technical area and I couldn't see."

Keegan added: "It is a tough place to come anyway and you need a few decisions to go your way. I will have to look at the video of the incidents because I couldn't see around Mr Benitez."

Reds came from behind - and won

BBC Sport Online

Steven Gerrard completed Liverpool's second-half comeback as they came from behind to beat a battling City side.

Nicolas Anelka put City ahead against the run of play after Jerzy Dudek dropped the ball at his feet.

But Gerrard sent Milan Baros clear to equalise with a cool finish, and Liverpool pressed forward for more.

David James made several superb stops before Gerrard swept home the winner, and City's misery was complete when Richard Dunne was sent off late on.

New Liverpool boss Rafel Benitez had seen his side enjoy the lion's share of the early possession on his Anfield bow.

But their probing play struggled to break down a determined City defence.

The home side's best early chance came in the 11th minute when Gerrard fired in a long-range drive that James collected comfortably.

City continued to defend in numbers and chances were few and far between at either end until Harry Kewell's dipping shot which dropped just over James' crossbar on 29 minutes.

Kewell tested James again soon after with a low shot through a crowd which the England keeper did well to push wide.

The Reds were piling on the pressure, and from the ensuing corner Sami Hyypia had a clear sight of goal but could not keep his shot down.

City did not threaten until the 37th minute when Antoine Sibierski met Anelka's corner but could not direct his header goalwards.

And yet it was the visitors who snatched the lead on the stroke of half-time thanks to an error by Liverpool keeper Dudek.

Jamie Carragher headed Shaun Wright-Phillips' chipped through ball back to Dudek but the keeper fumbled and allowed Anelka to steal in and slot home.

But City's lead only lasted until three minutes after the restart.

Gerrard's clever pass set Baros free in the area and he beat James with a composed finish.

Anelka almost restored their lead when he latched on to Reyna's flick - his first-time shot flying inches over.

City were looking comfortable despite Liverpool enjoying the majority of possession, but the home side burst into life in the closing 20 minutes.

In a whirlwind spell of pressure, Gerrard tested James with a powerful drive that James somehow pushed away.

Then a sweeping move forward sent Djibril Cisse running clear but James came out well to smother his shot.

And seconds later James was City's saviour again with another superb stop to deny Baros who was clean through after Dunne's slip.

But a second Liverpool goal looked inevitable and it duly came on 75 minutes.

A long ball forward sent Baros scampering away once more and although James did well to block his effort, the ball fell kindly to Gerrard who swept the ball home.

City's misery was complete when Dunne was sent off for a second booking after a foul on Cisse in the 85th minute.

backbutton.gif (1697 bytes)

Thor Zakariassen