After The Match 


LIVERPOOL-CHARLTON 0-1 (0-0)          Mon April 12.         Premier League
Goals: Bartlett (63)
Team: Dudek, Carragher, Riise, Hyypia, Henchoz, Gerrard, Hamann, Diouf, Kewell, Owen, Heskey
Subs: Baros (Heskey 57), Smicer (Diouf 57)
Not used: Luzi, Murphy, Cheyrou
Yellow: Gerrard (86)
Red: None
Referee: P Dowd (Staffordshire)
Attendance: 40,003

                                                              FIXTURES & RESULTS
Shots on target: 16-3
Shots off target: 9-3
Fouls conceded: 12-17
Corners: 7-4
Yellow: 1-0





"We only have
ourselves to blame."

                Gerard Houllier

1304: My players are down...we need help now
1204: Curbishley delighted with Anfield win
1204: Addicks shock sloppy Reds

My players are down... we need help now

By Andy Hunter - Daily Post

Gerard Houllier fears for Liverpool's ebbing morale after their Champions League chances suffered a serious blow at home to Charlton yesterday.

The Liverpool manager refused to concede defeat in the race for fourth place despite losing to Charlton, who recorded their first victory at Anfield for 50 years courtesy of Shaun Bartlett's 63rd-minute header.

Liverpool's fifth home league defeat of the season rounded off a miserable Easter for Houllier's team who followed up their mauling by Arsenal with a lame display. And the Anfield manager admits he must revitalise Liverpool's flagging confidence as he conceded they now need outside help to claim fourth place.

"We have to make sure we aren't too down after these Easter results but the changing room is not the happiest spot in the ground at the moment," he said.

"Fourth place is still open and it is open for four or five teams now. The mistake would be to throw the towel in and to say it is finished. It is not, but now we need results from somewhere else.

"Newcastle are at Aston Villa next week and have four away games to play and only two at home, and we are going to need some kind of help from somewhere now.

"The race for second place is also open now between Chelsea and Manchester United so they could have an influence on who gets fourth.

"I don't think it is finished. Other teams will lose points and the race for fourth place is still on so we must stay positive."

Newcastle can now go three points clear of Liverpool if they win their game in hand while Charlton's victory, and Villa's defeat of Chelsea, has opened up the race for fourth place.

Houllier, who dropped Igor Biscan from the squad, admitted: "We have missed a good opportunity to take a lead in fourth place. It was just down to us, we didn't play well.

"We only started playing once they scored and although they didn't have a lot of shots on goal we didn't take advantage of the numerous corners and free-kicks we had around their box.

We had some half-chances in the first half and two good ones in the second when Stevie went through and Vladi had a header saved by the goalkeeper.

"I think a draw would have been the fair result but they rode their luck and we didn't play at the level we know we are capable of. They defended well but even so we should have done better."

He added: "It wasn't a corner for their goal but maybe it was given because the referee didn't see the penalty they might have had just before that. Even so, we had time to equalise and to get back into the game and we didn't. We didn't hurt them enough.

"It is a disappointing result on the back of a disappointing performance, but we have got to pick ourselves up and keep going. Maybe the Arsenal game took a lot out of us. It was not a good day."

Steven Gerrard was involved in two penalty incidents, escaping with a push on Hermann Hreidarsson and then collecting his first booking of the season when he fell over Radostin Kishishev's outstretched leg. "I honestly didn't see it because Phil (Thompson) was obstructing my view!" said Houllier of the Liverpool claim.

Curbishley delighted with Anfield win

By Chris Maxwell - LFC Online

Charlton Athletic boss Alan Curbishley believes that his side's shock success at Anfield has left the race for the fourth and final Champions League spot wide-open with just six games remaining.

The Addicks have closed to within two points of fourth-placed Liverpool following their 1-0 win at Anfield and the highly-rated manager feels that Charlton can now earn a dream Champions League place.

Curbishley said: "The season is still alive for everybody. This was a fantastic result for us, any victory at Anfield is fantastic. Now we have won here a lot of other clubs will feel the season isn't over.

"Fourth spot is up for grabs. Everybody will be looking at more than Liverpool or Newcastle for fourth spot now. If Liverpool had beaten us they would have been eight points clear and we would not have caught them.

"It has kept us in touch. Villa won and they are still in it. It is my first victory here as a manager or player so I will enjoy this one."

Addicks shock sloppy Reds

Sky Sports

Charlton put a huge dent in Liverpool's Champions League aspirations with a 1-0 win at Anfield to help rekindle their own European aspirations.

Shaun Bartlett's second half goal was enough to give Charlton their first win at Anfield in more than half a century.

Liverpool started brightly and Jon Fortune had to be alert to prevent Emile Heskey getting on the end of Steven Gerrard's dangerous free kick after just four minutes.

Dean Kiely was called into action a minute later with Harry Kewell and Emile Heskey combining to set-up Michael Owen on the edge of the box, but his left-footed shot never had the power to trouble Kiely.

Owen missed a good chance on nine minutes when he got of his markers to Gerrard's free kick, but he did not get enough on his header and it flew wide of the target.

Charlton were struggling to make any impact on the game, but they came close to breaking the deadlock on 26 minutes when Jonatan Johansson hit a half volley from wide of the left which Jerzy Dudek was at full stretch to tip over.

Most of Liverpool's attacks were coming down the left and John Arne Riise sent over a cross on the half hour which Heskey at full-stretch could only head over the crossbar.

The same pair combined again four minutes later with Riise sending over an inviting cross which Heskey flashed just wide of the post.

Charlton were coming more and more into the game and Claus Jensen and Matt Holland both had long-range efforts which failed to trouble Dudek.

Reds captain Gerrard was trying to push Liverpool forward at every attempt and he tried his luck himself five minutes before the break, but his shot from the edge of the area was easily saved by Kiely.

Heskey had another headed chance just before half time when he rose above Kiely to meet Riise's cross, but he could not direct his effort on target.

Liverpool started the second half in the ascendancy and Gerrard had a sight of goal on 50 minutes after being put clear by Owen, but he shot tamely at Kiely.

Gerard Houllier made a double substitution just before the hour mark bringing on Milan Baros and Vladimir Smicer and the duo combined to send Baros in on goal, but he failed to get enough power on his shot allowing Kiely to easily save.

Charlton then stunned the home fans when they opened the scoring on 63 minutes with Bartlett rising above the rooted Sami Hyypia to power a header into the net.

Liverpool almost responded immediately with Dietmar Hamman seeing his header kicked off the line by Chris Powell and then seeing his shot cleared inside the six-yard box.

Five minutes later Bartlett saw another header deflected just over the crossbar and from the resulting corner Fortune flashed a free header over the top.

Liverpool threw everything into attack in abid to get back into the game and Gerrard saw a free kick blocked by and then saw another shot just go over the crossbar.

Owen had a sight of goal on 78 minutes when Hyypia headed down Riise's cross into his path, but he hit his volley into the ground and straight at Kiely.

Liverpool should have drawn level on 84 minutes when Gerrard picked out Smicer unmarked in front of goal, but Kiely produced an instinctive save to keep out his point-blank header.

The home side felt they should have a penalty a minute later when Gerrard went down on the edge of the box, but the England captain was booked for diving by Phil Dowd.

backbutton.gif (1697 bytes)

Thor Zakariassen