After The Match 


YEOVIL TOWN-LIVERPOOL                          Sun Jan 4.      FA Cup 3. round
Goals: Heskey (70), Murphy (pen. 76)
Team: Dudek, Biscan, Hyypia, Henchoz, Riise, Murphy, Hamann, Smicer, Diouf, Kewell, Pongolle
Subs: Heskey (Pongolle 51), Cheyrou (Smicer 81),
Le Tallec (Diouf 86)
Not used: Luzi, Traore
Yellow: Smicer (11), Diouf (39), Le Tallec (87)
Red: None
Referee: N Barry (N Lincolnshire)
Attendance: 9.348

                                                             FIXTURES & RESULTS
On target: 6-11
Off target: 4-5
Fouls: 10-11
Corne:rs 6-5
Yellow: 0-3





"We have
to acknowledge
that Yeovil had a
very good game."

                 Gerard Houllier

0501: Kewell: I'm no diver
0501: Reds: Harry is no cheat
0401: Houllier pays tribute to Yeovil
0401: Reds see off brave Yeovil



Kewell: I'm no diver

By James Carroll - hankly Gates

Harry Kewell has become the centre of attention in the aftermath of Liverpool's 2-0 victory over Yeovil Town at Huish Park yesterday, in the FA Cup third round encounter.

Awkward centre back Hugo Rodrigues (he's the tallest man in the league you know) has come forward to blast Liverpool's Aussie front man, claiming that he dived in order to win the Reds penalty that was duly converted by Danny Murphy.

Rodrigues says that Liverpool pressured the referee into giving decisions and that the players in Red were more than keen to hit the deck.

"I spoke with Kewell at the time and told him I never touched him," said the defender.

"I have seen my challenge on Kewell again on the TV and it definitely wasn't a foul. Liverpool tried it at least four times in the first half and they do it to put pressure on the referee."

Rodrigues also claims that Kewell admitted to him that he had dived and the Portuguese was clearly suffering from memory loss as he failed to mention his challenges on El-Hadji Diouf and Danny Murphy that should have resulted in spot kicks in the first half.

Liverpool, and Kewell himself, have hit back at Rodrigues' desperate appeal.

Kewell said today: "I've got nothing to be ashamed about. If you look at the situation, he's touched me. If a defender touches a striker in the box it's a penalty."

"I don't know what he has to complain about. He come up to me during the game and asked me why I dived. I said to him 'Did you touch me?' And he said yes."

"He got his foot stuck, his knee stopped my movement, stopped me going towards goal and denied me a shot at goal. At the end of the day that is a penalty in my book."

"I wouldn't dive. It's not fair on the opposition. Some strikers are known for doing that but I'd never consider trying to con the referee."

"It's a free country and he can say what he wants but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I know he touched me."

"It was the referee's decision to award the penalty and he was well placed to do so. I don't know why he's making such a big fuss about it now."

Reds: Harry is no cheat

By Chris Bascombe - Liverpool Echo

Liverpool have hit back at claims Harry Kewell admitted to diving to help the Reds to victory at Yeovil.

Kewell earned his side the penalty which sealed a 2-0 win at Huish Park in the FA Cup third round. But Yeovil's Portuguese defender Hugo Rodrigues says the Aussie confessed he cheated to win the spot kick.

However, Liverpool's assistant manager Phil Thompson today said Kewell was 'stunned' by the accusation.

"Harry is 100 per cent adamant he did not say he dived," said Thompson.

"I can't understand where this is coming from.

"It was a clear penalty. You can see on TV the defender's knee catches Harry.

"Harry said after the game that their defender came up to him after the incident and said 'What did you do that for'?

"Harry said to him, 'If you touch me you know what's going to happen.'

"If their lad is taking that to mean Harry is going to dive that's up to him but he just meant that if you touch a striker in the box it's going to be a penalty.

"If the lad has misconstrued that and wants to make more of it I feel sorry for him. He's obviously got it wrong."

Thompson added he thought the Reds deserved more credit for the manner in which they overcame a tricky tie.

He said: "We have upset a lot of people by winning. Our friends at the BBC were gutted. I wish people would give us a break.

"We knew what to expect from Yeovil. At first they threw everything but the combine harvester at us but after 25 minutes it was one way traffic."

Houllier pays tribute to Yeovil

BBC Sport Online

Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier paid tribute to Yeovil after seeing his Premiership side brush off the threat of an FA Cup giant killing.

Houllier breathed a huge sigh of relief after seeing late goals from Emile Heskey and Danny Murphy end Yeovil's brave resistance.

"We have to acknowledge that Yeovil had a very good game," said Houllier.

"Some were probably expecting an upset and Gary Johnson's men fought very hard and made it very difficult for us.

"But I think my boys were magnificent today - in these games attitude and commitment are assets.

"It's important because, even though we are missing some players, the spirit is so good in the team."

Johnson was equally proud of his players after they had played to a level way above their Third Division status.

Johnson said: "I feel disappointed but also proud - I'm very proud of the players.

"A couple of enforced changes didn't help our pattern.

"We didn't create as many chances as I would have liked, but I think we created as many as Liverpool."

Johnson was also diplomatic in his verdict of the late penalty that sealed victory for Liverpool.

Harry Kewell appeared to dive under an innocuous challenge from Hugo Rodriguez, but Johnson said: "It means they respected us. Sometimes players go down and sometimes they get the decision.

"We won't get involved in that - we tried to play football, and I thought the boys did me proud."

Reds see off brave Yeovil

Sky Sports

Liverpool avoided a possible banana skin with a comfortable 2-0 win over brave Division Three side Yeovil Town in the third round of the FA Cup at Huish Park.

Second half goals from Emile Heskey and a Danny Murphy penalty were enough to ensure progression into the fourth round of the Cup for Gerard Houllier's men but only after surviving a real scare in the first half.

Yeovil showed no signs of nerves and attacked Liverpool from the outset with some fine passing moves to put The Reds on the backfoot.

The Division Three side created the first noteworthy effort of the game on 17 minutes with Darren Way blazing over the crossbar from just inside the box after a neat flowing move down the right.

Liverpool created their first chance of the contest six minutes later when El Hadji Diouf swung over a cross from the left to Vladimir Smicer, but his header lacked the power to beat Chris Weale.

Yeovil came closest to breaking the deadlock on 25 minutes when the ball broke to Gavin Williams on the edge of the area and he fired in a stinging shot which forced Jerzy Dudek to fling himself across goal to push round the post.

Seconds later Yeovil threatened the visitors' goal again with Way finding himself free at the far post, but Liverpool were able to get players across to smother the danger.

The visitors almost opened the scoring against the run of play three minutes before the break when Smicer broke free down the right and pulled the ball back invitingly for Diouf, but the Senegal star could not get his shot on target.

Liverpool came out in determined fashion in the second half and substitute Heskey forced Weale into a good block with a close-range shot after being played through by Sami Hyypia.

The visitors were now in dominant mood and were unlucky not to score after 63 minutes when Smicer fired in a shot from the edge of the box which beat Weale, but came back off the post much to the home side's relief.

Liverpool finally made the breakthrough their dominance warranted on 70 minutes when Murphy and Harry Kewell swapped passes before Murphy picked out Heskey in the box and the striker kept his cool to fire past Weale.

The Premiership side put the game beyond doubt six minutes later when Murphy converted from the spot after Kewell was brought down by Hugo Rodrigues inside the box.

Yeovil refused to give in and Terry Skiverton should have done better on 79 minutes when he beat Stephane Henchoz at the back post, but he could not get his header on target.

Substitute Kirk Jackson also went close seven minutes from time with a fine shot on the turn which forced Dudek into an acrobatic stop.

backbutton.gif (1697 bytes)

Thor Zakariassen